Refund

Dannyheredia
Contributor
Contributor
Will a refund go back to the PayPal account or the debit or credit card you used? A refund came in and the card I originally used is no longer active. My new card is on there but I'm not sure if it will go to that card or not. I also didn't put my bank account information in until recently
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

TheJayJayStore
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Welcome @Dannyheredia! Here's your answer: If you live in the USA and the card you originally used is a debit card, then it will be available sent to your card or your PayPal balance (it will only be sent to your PayPal balance if the refund can't be applied) up to 30 days - not business days. If you paid with a credit card, then the refund will be sent to the same card (no matter what happens) with the same amount of time frame. However, if the refund was initiated before your original payment cleared your bank, then it would usually take 3 to 5 business days to process and the refund will be credited to your PayPal balance once complete.

If you live outside of the USA, then you can follow these steps:

1. Login to your PayPal account.
  2. At the bottom of the page, click on "Help & Contact."
  3. On the next page, search for "I want a refund. How do refunds work?" and the information will be available there.

Did this help? Let me know by giving me some kudos and selecting this as the solution. Otherwise, go ahead and reply to this forum with the correct solution. Also, help other's in this community! Enjoy!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Dannyheredia,

I'm sorry for any confusion regarding the destination of your refund. I'm happy to help!

The card you used will always be the card that a refund goes back to, except if it was a debit card, as @TheJayJayStore mentioned. If it was a debit card, it may go to the card or it may go to the balance, depending on a couple of factors that were in play at the time of the original transaction.

In situations where the card is no longer active, you may have to contact the card issuer to claim the funds. If the new card was issued by the same bank and is attached to the same account, the funds may simply be credited back to that account. If not, calling that card issuer and explaining the situation will get you on the right track.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.