Refund to a credit card

Citti
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased an item in  January 2018 paid for it  via PayPal but I never received the item.  I requested a full refund and it was processed HOWEVER the refund went to a credit I DO NOT OWN!!  I called PayPal twice regarding this issue and was not given the help I needed.  I have searched ALL of my bank accounts and debit and credit cards all of my statements and none of them have this transaction for that time frame.  I need to know what this so called credit card is and exactly where my refund is.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Citti

Refunds automatically go back to the card used to pay in the first place.

If you have closed that account then you can reach out to that card issuer and see if they can recover it for you.

If they can't then 'hopefully' it will bounce back to your paypal account balance but allow 30 days for it to do so.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Citti
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate your reply to my question.  The problem is I DO NOT have a credit card with the last 4 numbers that PayPal provided me with stating that that is where my refund went or is going to. I have checked EVERYWHERE  and I cannot find a new or old credit or debit card with those last 4 numbers on them.  Does PayPal credit use a card of some sort to pay for things when their credit is used?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Dustin

Hi @Citti,

Sorry to hear about the trouble with that refund. When a card is used in a transaction, any refund issued will go directly back to the card used automatically. If the card is closed or no longer attached to the PayPal account, the funds would be deposited in to the PayPal account balance. In a situation like this, I recommend contacting PayPal customer service by phone or email. We can also be reached on Facebook and Twitter.

- Dustin

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

Citti
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Dustin,

I thank you for your response but my problem is that I never had a credit card with that number on it.  I do not know when and how that credit card got onto my paypal account so I am at a loss here,  There doesn't seem to be any solution to my problem.  I guess there is NO WAY to trace this phantom credit card or is there?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey Citti,

Thanks for providing those additional details - I apologize for the confusion! If you don't recognize the card, it may mean that your account was accessed without your permission and someone added a card to the account. In that case, I would advise changing your password and contacting us using the information Dustin provided above so that we can look further into the issue and ensure the account is secure. Hopefully this helps!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.