Refund on friends and family purchase from scammer

Jevans22
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a gift card from this reddit man. Well he scammed my. I’m trying to email him and message him and he isn’t responding. I have heard from other post that PayPal is completely useless in this case and you shouldn’t have sent it to friends and family in the first place. Is this true? Am I completely **bleep**? Because I’m starting to think I am. I also have the proof of messages and any proof they could possibly need if it is possible to get a refund.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Luigi123
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Jevans22,

Thank you for contacting with us. Yes, it is true, and you shouldn't started in the first place. Please read the article from this link: https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/What-are-common-scams-and-how-do-I-spot-them-FAQ3176

I would suggest you create a ticket from your PayPal account in More > Resolution Centre and they will able to help you with that.

Login to Me Too

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

When you pay for something using the Send Money option and select Friends and Family you have "no" proof that this was a purchase.  It's simply looks like you sent money to a family member or friend.   The Resolution Center won't even let you open a dispute due to the type of payment you made.   The seller should have sent you an invoice as this would be the type of documentation and information needed to open a dispute. 

Login to Me Too

Luigi123
Contributor
Contributor

Oh right I forgot.

Click on help / contact bottom of this page and use the email option > if you get an automated reply then 'reply' to that email and you should get an agent.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.