Refund on Nonrefundable Deposit

anicole27
Contributor
Contributor
I purchased 2 puppies and paid a "nonrefundable deposit" on each. The first we picked up 2 weeks ago and the second would be ready to pick up mid April (from a different litter). After having it the first only a week- we found out our daughter is allergic. She was severely breaking out in hives any time she came into contact with the dog. I contacted the breeder on Sunday and told her of what was going on, she stated "doesn't believe in allergies and everyone always wants to blame the dog", but agreed to refund my deposit today, because we let her know 3 weeks before pick up and she still had several people interested in dogs and could easily sell this dog. Here is our conversations over the week. I only contacted her twice, but once she flipped out on me I didn't respond" my question is, since she agreed to refund the money and I have proof, and since I didn't recover the dog and contacted her wayyy prior to pick up, can I open a claim With PayPal to refund this money even if the invoice stated it was a "nonrefundable deposit". I really do not want to deal with this woman one on one anymore due to her rudeness, unprofessionalism and crazy replies. She doesn't make sense. I know I may have to take a miss on this deposit, but she did agree to refund me. I don't think I was rude to her, and I only Contacted her two times after waiting several days. I'm just st a loss of what to do. She won't be missing out on money as she clearly stated she could still sell the dog. Tuesday Me: "Hi there! I was wondering if you are sending an invoice with the return payment for the deposit, or how that works since it's through PayPal" Wednesday seller: "Yes I am just gone me a day or so I'm really busy". Thursday me (I orgot to respond the same day): "Thank you". Saturday me: "Hello Norma, I did not receive the invoice yet for the return deposit. Was just reminding you because it probably slipped your mind, I know you're very busy." Saturday (2 mins later) seller: "Give me a chance I already told you I was gonna return it, you don't have to remind me every day" Me: "I haven't reminded you everyday, I inquired about how the return payment process works on Tuesday since it was through PayPal, and The last time we spoke was Wednesday morning and you said give me a day- I assumed you forgot as today is Saturday which is why I was inquiring. As stated above, I know and understand you are busy. I also apologize for contacting and disturbing you, but I did fall today and fracture my ankle leaving me with a hefty hospital bill. I am a little stressed with my finances" Seller: "Ok I dont have access. I'm as a courtesy returning your deposit. I was a soldier for 30 years, you think I believe everything you say." Me: "sent a picture of my fractured casted foot" Seller: "what is that???" Me: "That is my foot, I fell down my stairs this morning and fractured it. That's fine, and I do know that you are returning my deposit as a courtesy which is much appreciated. As I said, I was only inquiring as I hadn't spoken with you since Wednesday." Seller: "What does my puppy have to do with your feet? I already tried to send it and I can't do it with my phone, please stop I'll do it when I can. I'm not reading your texts you are eating my time"
Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

exoprime

Agreed. PayPal caters to buyers, not sellers.

Login to Me Too

anicole27
Contributor
Contributor
I did not respond to her message after she got snarky, I did not want to argue or irritate her further. I did Contact PayPal and the agent I spoke with said that their policies "supersede hers" even though the deposit was nonrefundable, I did not receive the item and they could Open a claim. I did not do that because I don't want to go that route, I wanted to Give her more Time to return the deposit like she said she would. But then she started giving some odd responses like "I was a solider for 30 years do you think I believe everything you say" and I am just weary of communicating any further with her. She did agree to a full refund, but stated that she tried to send the refund through the phone and couldn't and doesn't have access to that feature, which sounds odd to me. I am fully aware that she doesn't have to refund me. But since she agreed to it, I was wondering if she didn't follow Through if that would give me anymore of a "case"
Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I don't think any of the communications with the seller will have any bearing on a PayPal case.

If  you think you have a case for non-delivery, then just do it.  You have the seller a chance.  Just file the non-delivery case.  PayPal will look for a delivery tracking number; it isn't there.

Just make sure you escalate the dispute to a claim as soon as you can.

Login to Me Too

anicole27
Contributor
Contributor
As stated in post, I was fully prepared to lose out on the deposit. But then She agreed to it, and now it seems as if maybe she is changing her mind. I can't tell, other than she is offering very strange and rude responses. I am weary to even contact her again at all to discuss this because of her reaction after I contacted her once to inquire. I honestly just don't know What to do with this.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It is a case of buyer remorse due to personal reason,there is always a reason for wanting to get out of a situation,some moral,some not,be it as it may,potential problem with family member is not part of the agreement.

The fact that you keep pursuing this matter on this forum states that you do want a refund and looking for way to do so.

If you seller has  a customer lined up,he would gladly refund,but it looks like he does not have one.

I am going to play couch potato and watch a long TV drama.

Login to Me Too

anicole27
Contributor
Contributor
I "WAS" Fully prepared to lose out on the deposit UNTIL she offered to refund it. My question was asking if her agreeing to refund it would aid in a dispute case if I so chose to go that route, which is why I am in this forum seeking relevant answers. My problem Is the way she is going about this situation, If she doesnt want to refund, all she had to say is "I changed my mind and I am not going to refund you" and I would've left it at that and gone on with my life. However, she said on 2 different occasions she would do it "that day" or within the day, and didn't do it. Then when I inquired ONCE after waiting days, she lashed out at me and acted as if I was bothering her. Instead of giving me the run around and being a **bleep** when I contact her, she should give me a straight answer and I wouldn't have to "eat her time up" when my one text message. I know the seller has sold all puppies because I had someone contact asking if she had any left from the litter, in which she stated that they are all Sold and the next litter will be available in July.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You have your options.  Just file a dispute for give up.   Just end the drama and move on.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@anicole27 wrote:
As stated in post, I was fully prepared to lose out on the deposit. But then She agreed to it, and now it seems as if maybe she is changing her mind. I can't tell, other than she is offering very strange and rude responses. I am weary to even contact her again at all to discuss this because of her reaction after I contacted her once to inquire. I honestly just don't know What to do with this.

if you are prepared to lose out on the deposit,then dont spend any more time on it,go fix dinner,watch a movie or play nintendo or pokemon.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.