Refund of $1600 Stuck for Days

temp201909091x
Contributor
Contributor
Hi all: bought $1600 electronics item from eBay. Seller communicated well before purchase. Sent payment immediately after purchasing item, then about 15 minutes later the seller canceled saying “I’m sorry I have to cancel your order”. The $1600 was refunded but in a “pending” status. This was sent instant via my bank account 4 days ago now and I’m without the money. I have to find a replacement item today as it’s to support a show for my band that’s on tour. Without it, we are dead in the water. Paypal support has been no help so far. Help - how do I get this money back? This seems extremely unfair and to bias the seller, who likely already has my money in their account and they are taking the slow path to refund me even though they never sent the item.
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@temp201909091x

Its never 'instant' from your bank account.

When you pay a seller its never instant, paypal 'credit' the seller for you and then paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer from your bank account.'

Paypal use the cheapest / slowest method and thats why they credit the seller for you, its also why we get buyers on here saying their item is on the way but the funds have not left their bank account yet. Even when the funds do leave your bank account it does not mean paypal have received them yet as they go via automated clearing.

So as soon as paypal get the funds transfered then they release the pending status and credit the refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

temp201909091x
Contributor
Contributor
Appreciate the reply. This is an extremely poor customer experience especially compared to other payment platforms and merchants. From my perspective, since the seller cancelled my order not even 15 minutes after I sent payment (which means they have my money and can deposit into their account via debit card or transfer for next-day) they should have negated my bank transfer (seems to run via overnight batch ACH) And given me the money back right away so I could purchase the item from another seller. If this isn’t resolved today, this will be the last time I ever use paypal. It’s no wonder other competing platforms are becoming more preferred by the public, including ebay’s recent announcement of their own new payment platform. I have empathy for all of those who have been **bleep** over by paypal in this way.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@temp201909091x

Once you have clicked to authorise a payment from your bank account neither the bank nor paypal can stop it.

The funds can't do a u-turn, even if your bank re-called the payment it would have to complete first and then return.

https://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/cancel-paypal-electronic-transfers-bank-account-17716.html

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.