Refund issue

gagevercler
New Community Member

So I'm having a bit of an interesting problem. 

I am going to Ireland on January 8th for 3 months, and my girlfriend and I reserved an Airbnb. She is studying there, so she'll be there for 4 months, I'll be there for 3 (as I mentioned). I paid for the Airbnb immediately and reserved it for one person (because we originally thought she would find alternate accomodations). However, we later decided she would stay with me. So, we upped the Airbnb reservation from one to two people, which of course increased the price. We told Airbnb to charge her discover card for the additional charge (her charge), but they didn't understand and they charged my PayPal, which made me $734.42 negative in my account.

We called Airbnb and they agreed to refund my payment. Later that day, the money was back in my account, and all was well.

Then, about a week later, the same amount ($732.42) came out of my account, though the issue with Airbnb has been resolved and they are now charging us separately for our stay in Ireland.

So I called Airbnb, and all their customer service rep could see, was that I was refunded and that my girlfriend was now charged for the money, which is correct, but the customer service rep had no records of me being charged the same amount AGAIN. When I check my bank account transaction history, it tells me that PayPal took the money out.

I have tried to contact a PayPal representative, but so far, no luck. 

Does anybody know why the money was taken out of my account a second time after the initial successful refund? And if there is a legitimate reason, when will I get my money back? I'm saving my money so I can survive in Ireland and I really don't need to be negative in my bank account right now.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_AshleyM

Hi gagevercler,

I'm sorry to hear your bank was charged again. I'm happy to provide any details I can to help.

This sounds like a representment. What that means is, when a payment is initiated through PayPal using a bank account and the first transfer doesn't go through due to a block from the bank or insufficient funds, the payment will go into a representment and will attempt again after three business days. Even if a transaction has been canceled, PayPal is not able to cancel requests for funds from the bank, and therefore have to wait for the request to be blocked by the bank, or the funds transferred through.

In these cases, there will only ever be two attempts on the bank account (the initial charge, then the representment). If it doesn't go through after the second attempt, the transfer will be canceled. 

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, however you shouldn't see an additional attempt to debit if this is what has happened. If not, you'll need to contact us to see what we can find and what options we have. 

I hope this information helps! Have a great trip to Ireland. 🙂

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.