Refund issue

marcoman3
Contributor
Contributor

I issued a full refund to a client. They did receive an email stating it was refunded and my account shows it as refunded. However, the client states the monies do not show on their end. How long before a refund shows on their end or...is there a way to track where the payment/refund went to? Thanks.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@marcoman3

If they funded the original paypal payment to you with a debit or credit card then it won't go back to their paypal balance.

Once marked as completed it will automatically go back to their bank account or credit card but takes up to a week to process through to the bank and a bit longer for a c.c (paypal say allow 30 days but I have never waited longer than a week for mine).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

marcoman3
Contributor
Contributor

No, I refunded it directly from my PayPal account. 

On my end the refund shows as complete.

on my clients end it doesn’t show even though they did receive a refunded email.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@marcoman3

Read my post again as i did not ask how you funded the refund.

I said if the BUYER funded their payment TO YOU in the first place via a card then it would go back to that card etc etc etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

marcoman3
Contributor
Contributor

I’m sorry.

on the payment on the original invoice it shows it was paid out of their PayPal account.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@marcoman3

Oh dear I don't know how else to explain it.

Yes they paid with their paypal account but they had to use a funding source linked to that paypal account.

1. Funds in their balance.

2. Debit card.

3. Credit card.

4. Bank transfer.

YOU won't know how they funded that paypal payment BUT if they FUNDED it via a card then when you issued a refund it won't go back to their paypal account balance, it will automatically go back to their debit card / bank account OR credit card but takes about a week to show up in there.

In other words they won't see it in their paypal account BALANCE and that could be why they think it has not showed up.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.