Refund PayPal gift card?

PT300
New Community Member

Today I went to the local convenience store and purchased a $20-500 PayPal My Cash gift card, paying to put $20 on the card plus the $3.95 activation fee. About 20 minutes later, attempted to credit it to my account at paypal.com/cash, and instead of putting the card onto my account, it asked me to verify my identity as being over 18 for me to credit it to my account. I'm NOT over 18 (I'm 17) so I was obviously unable to verify my identity as being over 18. I've used PayPal for a few purchases in the past using my checking account and prepaid VISA gift cards I've recieved, but this was my first time using a PayPal My Cash gift card. It was also the first time I've been asked to verify that I'm over 18, which took me by surprise.

So then I went back to the drugstore to ask them to give me back $20 in cash for my card, and they said I have to call the number for PayPal support to get my refund. When I called them, they said to request a refund on the PayPal website. Problem is, I have no idea how to do that or where to find it; when I searched up "refund" and "refund gift card" in customer support, I just found endless articles about refunding money to a gift card, or other articles about eBay gift cards- all of which were completely irrelevant to my situation.

Long story short, the $20 gift card I got is completely useless to me, since I'm 17 and need to be 18 to use it. How do I get the $20 back I paid for this gift card?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Googled 'PayPal My Cash' and got this:

https://www.paypal-cash.com

Check the FAQs for refund directions.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.