Question regarding an erroneous payment made to my account

Squeaky781
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal novice here.     Someone accidentally sent me a payment.     They've asked me to refund them which I plan to do.    I'd like to know if Paypal will charge me if I refund the payment.  The payment  wasn't associated with anything---such as an Ebay transation.        I haven't been able to find this information anywhere so hoping someone might know.   I was hesitant to refund the person at first in case this was a scam of some sort.   I tried opening up a case with Paypal to ask them but since I was the recipient it said I couldn't open a case.   

Thanks for any help.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Squeaky781

Depends how they send the money in the first place?

Did paypal take a fee from the payment when it was sent ie when you click on details of that payment is there a fee charged?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Squeaky781
Contributor
Contributor

No, it looks like she sent $60 and I don't see any fees associated with it.    Doesn't say what it's for. 

The girl emailed me asking me to refund her.  She said it was a mistake---the money should have been sent to a similar email address to mine.    Seems legit but you never know.    

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Squeaky781

If a fee was not taken when you received it then you should be ok to refund without a fee being charged.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.