Purchase on eBay

omjf23

Last week I contacted an eBay seller about a jersey they listed. I made an offer through eBay messages, and the seller agreed. They promptly changed the Buy It Now price to our agreed amount, and I proceeded to checkout. I then tried to pay them through PayPal, and sent them a message confirming I paid. They messaged me back saying it did not work. I then cancelled the payment, and tried it again. It still did not work. Again, I cancelled payment. (These amounts have since been refunded to me days later). 

The seller then sent me a gmail account to use in PayPal. I paid them, and the seller confirmed that it worked. They then asked for my address, and I sent it. Ever since, I have been unable to contact the seller. Not through eBay, and not through the gmail they sent me for payment. The seller is located in the next state above me. I would have thought it would have been delivered to me by now. I doubt eBay will be able to help as our transaction occurred outside of eBay checkout. In the event that my jersey is not delivered to me in the next day or so, is there any way I can dispute this transaction with PayPal to get my money back? All I really have is eBay messages to show that we agreed on a price and payment was sent. The transaction did not occur through goods and services.

Any help is appreciated.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@omjf23

Smiley Sad

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
On the other hand, as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.
Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@omjf23

If the transaction did not occur via goods / services then how did you pay??

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

omjf23

I guess through friends and family. 

I'm guessing this was a mistake on my part.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@omjf23

Smiley Sad

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
On the other hand, as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.
Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

omjf23

Thanks.

Looks like I'm probably out of luck. The payment came from my bank account.

Guess I'll just cross my fingers that it will still come this week. Smiley Sad

Lesson learned.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.