Problem Making a Payment to HostGator

KellyCdB
Contributor
Contributor

I have a blog hosted with HostGator, for which I make a monthly payment. I make the payment manually each month, I do not have a billing agreement. 

Each month when I pay, HG sends me an email saying the payment is due. I go to their billing portal, sign in, and then have to choose my payment option - there are three option, each on a separate tab. 

I click on the tab for "Pay with PayPal".  The window this tab opens has two check boxes - one for making a one time payment, or one for starting a billing agreement. 

However, recently, when I click the tab, I see that window and then about 1 second later, it switches to a different window that ONLY has the billing agreement option. 

HostGator support is telling me this is a PayPal issue, but I have a hard time believing that since it's happening on their site before I sign into PayPal.

Does anyone have any advice? Experience with this problem before? Is it in fact a PayPal issue and I'm just crazy for thinking it's not? 

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Does it let you make a one time payment as outlined here:

http://support.hostgator.com/articles/pre-sales-policies/billing-account-changes/billing-portal-make...

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

KellyCdB
Contributor
Contributor

That's exactly what I'm trying to do, and it hasn't been working. 

In the last image on that post, you can see the payment method offers 3 choices, on tabs - Use CC on file, Use new CC, or Use PayPal. 

I do not have a credit card, so I need to use PayPal. When I click on the tab for paypal, it doesn't give me an option to make a one time payment, it only gives me a link to start an agreement. 

But now there's a plot twist - When I went into it last night to show my husband, see if he had any ideas, he said "Go ahead and click it like your going to make a billing agreement so I can see what happens" - and when I did, it made the one time payment. So for now, the problem seems solved. 

I'll see what happens with the next payment! 

Login to Me Too

Quagmire
Contributor
Contributor

I too am having this problem. I am on Firefox (desktop) and I sometimes pay via Paypal, sometimes via card. I wanted to make a one-off payment via Paypal, but I only have the "make agreement" option.

It does flash the other options, but disappear.

I tried on IE, and it did show  the option to make a one-off payment, but the "Pay" button did not light up.

Yes, the terms and conditions were also ticked.

I tried on Chrome too, but that was the same as Firefox. I do not have another device to try it on which is the option Hostgator gave.

Now my site is at risk of going offline because I cannot make a payment.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Follow what the previous post said, to go and make like you're making a billing agreement and when you do it, it makes a one time payment.  If you need to cancel the billing agreement after the initial payment goes through, go to Profile > Payments > Manage Pre-approved payments and click host gator profile to cancel.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you need more assistance go here: http://support.hostgator.com/articles/billing-portal-make-a-payment

Login to Me Too

KellyCdB
Contributor
Contributor

Going to HostGator for more assistance is useless, because they say it's a PayPal problem and that PayPal knows about it. They have ZERO assistance to give. 

The last couple of payments went through without a problem. Today, I had the issue again, although it was a bit different. 

I clicked on the PayPal tab (in my HostGator payment portal) and it only gave me the billing agreement option. I clicked on that same tab AGAIN, and it gave me a "pay now" button, but it was disabled, and I could not click on it. I've got a credit card now, so figured I'd try paying that way - and even on the CC, even after I entered all my information, the "Pay Now" button was disabled. 

I reloaded the page, went back to the CC option, and entered my info, and then I saw the "terms and services" check box. It WAS NOT there the first time - to make sure, I reloaded everything and repeated my original actions. All ;Pay Now' buttons were disable, and there was no "T&S"  check box. 

Finally, I reloaded the page - went to the "enter a credit card" tab and checked the "T&S" box in that tab. THEN I switched over to the PayPal tab... lo and behold, the button worked, and I was able to make a payment with PP. 

I don't know whose problem it is - HG or PP, but the two need to work together and get this thing fixed 😕 

Login to Me Too

Quagmire
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the replies.

@sharpiemarker - I have a friend with a laptop and he'll be bringing it over sometime today or tomorrow. The person at Hostgator kept telling me to use a different device. I kept telling him I don't have one. (Very frustrating) He said that he had someone the other day with the same problem, and by using a different device fixed the problem. I'll give it a go before doing the option of starting an agreement - then cancelling it.

@KellyCdB - It seems to be a related problem. I wish they would fix it - and soon. I think it's a Hostgator problem, rather than Paypal, but I came here as others were having the same/similar problem. 

Login to Me Too

Quagmire
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: - I've tried on another device - as per Hostgator's suggestion - and the exact same thing happens :- No option to make a one-off Paypal payment. Like before, the three options appear for a split second, then just shows the make agreement option.

Login to Me Too

Quagmire
Contributor
Contributor

ANOTHER UPDATE:

I've spoken to Hostgator support again, and this is what they've said...

THEM:

Unfortunately in regards to the matter, that

would be a recent change that can not be

altered.

THEM:

It would be a few months old, not the newest

change made in regards to the portal/billing

but still "recent" enough. Unfortunately in

regards to the recent changes that would be

the only alternative to "make" a single

payment with paypal.

ME:

It worked okay last month.

THEM:

We've had to temporary return one time

payments intermittently as our staff work on

the portal. Once development in certain

aspects is completed, it will eventually

return to a disabled state and it would be

billing agreement based for paypal.

ME:

There isn't an option to make a single

payment with paypal. That's the point. The

only option is to open an agreement with them

where they will automatically deduct the

amount.

THEM:

Yes, the single option is being disabled if

not already, it may intermittently be

visible/functional during some work our

development team is doing with the portal but

it would soon not an option directly.

ME:

Just to be clear.... the one-off payment

option via paypal is going for good?

THEM:

Unfortunately yes at this time.

ME:

Okay. Will it be coming back in the near

future? I understand that the staff turn

on/off parts when working on it, but there's

a big difference between hours and months.

THEM:

It's not something we plan on re-enabling at

this time.

So, there you have it. But that leads me to my next problem. I decided to go with the Make Agreement option with Paypal.

BUT.......when I log onto Paypal, the agreement is to take money from my bank accounts (Which are in GBP) and there's no option to directly take money from my Paypal account (which is in USD)

Why won't Paypal allow me to pay with the funds that are already in my account?

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.