Possible fraud situation.

g3n1u5
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

We are selling a horse float, and we recieved in email in interesting english, saying that they were in a remote location, and were happy to pay full price, sight unseen, and their agent would pick it up.

The ask us for either a paypal account or our bank details. And they will transfer the money straight away, via a secure payment.

To me, it sounds too perfect a deal, and it is a 20 year old horse float, etc.

I was wondering what the risk is please,, with giving them our paypal details?

Regards

Tony

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

KristinePG
Contributor
Contributor
Go with your gut but if it sounds too good then it's probably a scam. I was selling a coat on CL and when the person who was buying it told me pretty much the same thing that they'd be mailing the money order and after I cashed it, one of their associates would pick up the coat. I asked why not just exchange cash for the coat when they picked up the coat? I was told that they needed a paper trail for their online selling business, which made sense business wise, so after mailing the money order they emailed me saying their Asst accidentally made the amount for too much and could I be trusted to return the overpayment amount back to them I agreed to do so until I got the(not 1 but 2) money orders for almost $1,000ea when I was only asking $125. They were for $987ea & so new they were stuck together. I still can't believe they actually thought I'd even have the $8oo+ to return but notified my local police department and even they said it was most definitely a scam and I reported it on the FBI's cyber crime website because it's a felony to say the least. I'd recommend checking out the website "RipoffReport.com" and seeing if they've gotten any reports about the company or if there's a current scam like it going around (just type in key words to search the site) and just know that banks and credit unions do NOT cover fraudulent checks, money orders, & even cashier checks so you'd be stuck having to repay any money from a fraudulent payment in that form too. PayPal has a protection plan but I'd call and talk to a representative just to be sure. Good luck & hope all goes well with you. KPG
Login to Me Too

g3n1u5
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for you advice.

I sent back an email, which i included my job role, which is in law enforcement. So far, ive nto heard anything back.

It just sounded fishy to me.

Thanks again, have a great weekend.

Login to Me Too

KristinePG
Contributor
Contributor
I'm glad nobody is out any money on your end! As for the "evil doer's" as I like to call them... I'd still look into filing a report with the FBI's cyber crime division online (just Google search for FBI report Cyber crime and it should be one of the options for you) even though you didn't fall for it, someone else might be a victim and your report could help stop the scammers. I didn't think anything would come of it but 3yrs later I was contacted by the USDOJ saying they caught 7people using my name on fraudulent cashier checks and I'd be reimbursed for the one that got through ($1,700 will come in handy, down side is I have to wait for their jail term to be over, lol what's another 7-10years when I didn't expect anything right?!) They tracked them all the way to Africa and brought them to military prison so there is 7 very unhappy people visiting our country and I know nobody else will suffer because of them. Happy you were able to scare them off! LoL I'd always mention that profession in the future and avoid it all together... Have a great weekend yourself and TTFN KPG
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.