Phishing email and a boggling response

FluffySamurai
Contributor
Contributor
So this morning I got what was clearly a Phishing Email. PayPal header and signature but asking me to update my information, because a transaction was denied. Well I clicked on the link and guess what the link with another PayPal header was asking for the Big 2 of identity theft, birthday and SS#. Well I didn’t type those in and went to my PayPal account and when on the actual site no transactions failed to go through and no request for information. I reported this to PayPal security and forwarded the email to the Phishing link. Now here is the weird part. I get a follow up email that says that this original email was not Phishing. Does that mean that either 1) PayPal is sending email with links to put your BDay and SS information out there without reason or 2) the security bot for PayPal doesn’t understand what to look for (cause you can’t tell me that a person looked at this and dismissed it.) Has anyone else encountered this?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_AshleyM

Hi FluffySamurai,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention - that is definitely not an email from PayPal. I'm going to ensure we get your feedback forwarded on. Please delete the email and run a virus scan to ensure the link didn't download something unexpected. Thank you!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.