Paypal thinks im a seller? Money on hold

xylake
Contributor
Contributor

Had a friend send me some money today and I went to go check my balance and I noticed it was on hold i check my email and i have a message from PayPal saying

Congratulations on your first sale with PayPal! Since you’re a new seller with us, we'd like to give you important information about how your payments are processed.

Right now, all payments you receive are placed in your pending balance for 21 days before they can be spent or withdrawn. However, if you help confirm your identity you can get immediate access to the first $1000.00 USD you make every month without any delay. As long as there are no other issues, the rest of the money is then released after 21 days.

I didn't sell anything to my friend and paypal also took a $2 fee from the amount they sent whats going on?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@xylake

Its down to how the payment was SENT to your account.

1. If your friend chose the send money > goods / services option then paypal would see you as a seller and apply the new seller hold. They would also charge you a fee.

2. If your mate had chosen the send money > family / friends option then you would have had the payment instantly.

You could try getting your mate to call customer services and authorise them to release the payment sooner as it was sent the wrong way?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

30 cents transaction fee and 2.9 discount fee if domestic,intl would be 3.9%

thats where your $2 went.  

Login to Me Too

12whiskers
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue as we speak. can you tell me what you ended up doing? I need this money now and cant afford to wait 21 days or even 7 days.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@12whiskers

How was the money sent?

Where is the buyer located?

What did you sell?

Did you ship the item yet?

Where is it going?

This is obviously not the same issue as the OP.  We don't know the OP details either.

Your urgent need is not relevant to the payment release.

Login to Me Too

12whiskers
Contributor
Contributor

the money was sent as goods and services, I am not selling anything. It should have been sent as friends and family.  From what I read, this is the same issue here, thank you for your feedback. I have gotten the issue settled.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.