Paypal payment "pending" vs "on hold"

jasonlee120412
New Community Member

Whats the difference between the two? after an ebay sale, the details of the transaction says "payment recieved" and that transaction is under "pending". i shipped out the order and a couple days later, it says delierved. however, i was talking to another ebay seller and he said that i shouldnt have sent the package yet. i asked why and he said if your transaction is pending, you dont have the money yet. 

since im a new seller, i have to wait some time before the fund are available to me. however the guy was saying that if my transaction is pending, i got scammed because i didnt get the money yet, but if its on hold, im fine. so whats the difference? does it matter that the transaction says "payment recieved?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Quandary
Advisor
Advisor

Here's way too much info -

Pending:

When you get paid for items sold on eBay.com, your payment might not be available immediately.  Your money is usually available in 21 days or sooner to ensure your buyers receive their items (Note: the money may not be released until later in the day).

Did you get a notice in your account on the Summary page that it's OK to ship ?

Here's a few reasons:
Your payment may be pending in your PayPal balance because:
* You’re a new seller (whether on or off eBay).
* You have a “Below Standard” seller rating on eBay.
* The payment you received may be considered unusual for your selling pattern.

More:

Delaying funds availability is a common industry practice PayPal implements to help ensure the safe and secure use of PayPal by both buyers and sellers. By placing your money in your pending balance, PayPal can ensure there is enough money in your PayPal account to resolve any issues that may arise with your account such as chargebacks or disputes. The money still belongs to you. It’s just temporarily not available to use, until your buyer has received the item they ordered in the condition promised.

In the future, you may be able to have funds made available to you immediately if you meet certain requirements, which include:

* At least 25 transactions
* $250.00 USD in sales
* 90 days since your first sale

Hold:

If a buyer pays you and the payment is on hold or unavailable right away, PayPal will notify you via email or an alert on your Summary page.

Why is the money in my pending balance rather than in my available balance?

The email or alert you received will be your best source of information on why your payment is on hold or unavailable.

Your payments may be placed on hold in your pending PayPal balance because:
*You’re a new seller with PayPal - It takes time to build history to demonstrate a pattern of positive buyer-seller transactions. By building a positive selling activity, your funds may become available immediately.
* You have performance issues or a high rate of buyer dissatisfaction or disputes - The percentage of refunds, disputes, and chargebacks compared to sales on your PayPal account seller performance. Having performance issues increases the likelihood of received funds being temporarily unavailable.
* The payment you received may be considered unusual for your selling pattern - You may be selling higher risk items such as tickets, gift cards, electronics, or travel packages. Unusual sales activity could also include a recent spike in sales, a change in average selling price, or a change in business model or type of item being sold. Also, if you had been selling on eBay but are now selling off eBay, this would be new activity.
* You were previously an inactive seller-You may not have sold something for a while and you have now begun selling again.
* You’ve been selling for a while but opened a new account-If you’re an established merchant, but opened a new account, that account will be eligible for holds until a good history is established.

To help ensure a successful transaction, PayPal will always encourage sellers to adhere to the following best practices:
* List successfully by including clear photos with detailed, accurate descriptions of items.
* Be clear about shipping and handling time, costs, and methods. Ship promptly and upload tracking.
* Define your return policy upfront.
* Communicate with your buyers and respond to inquiries quickly and in a professional manner.

How can I get access to my money faster?

Here are some tips that may help make your payment available sooner:
* Provide tracking information (UPS, USPS, or FedEx) with delivery confirmation. Your payment should be available 3 days after we can confirm delivery.
* If you don’t upload tracking information, but mark the item as shipped on the Transaction Details page, your payment should be available 7 days for domestic or 14 days for international shipments, after the item is marked as shipped.
* Buyers can also mark the item as received in the Transaction Details page, which will release the payment three days afterwards.
* Mark the payment as processed if it was for a service, and your payment should be available in 7 days for domestic or 14 days for international payments.
* If you fulfill the order, but don’t provide any shipping information, your payment should be available after 21 days, as long as your buyer doesn’t report any issues with the transaction.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.