Paypal gifting

biglongpapi
Contributor
Contributor

Is it true if someone keeps sending large amounts of money $1000+ in gift, paypal can flag both the accounts?
and depending on the account they can hold the funds
I read somewhere that PayPal holds funds for up to 6 months to "investigate" if they feel a gifted amount is suspicious

so would the only possible way to keep receiving this amount of money through the goods and services method or is gifting perfectly fine?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
There are a number of things that can trigger funding holds or account restrictions. High dollar gift transactions are one of these things because fraudsters often ask people to send as "friends and family" to avoid fees, but this also means you cannot dispute the transaction if you don't receive your goods/services.

Of course, if it's truly a gift then this doesn't matter, but most gifts aren't that high dollar, so when the PayPal system sees this it can trigger a red flag and potentially put a hold on the funds.

This same thing could happen with regular "goods and services" payments, too, but may not be as likely. Again, there are many variables involved like the history of the buyer and seller, the type of product being sold, etc.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
There are a number of things that can trigger funding holds or account restrictions. High dollar gift transactions are one of these things because fraudsters often ask people to send as "friends and family" to avoid fees, but this also means you cannot dispute the transaction if you don't receive your goods/services.

Of course, if it's truly a gift then this doesn't matter, but most gifts aren't that high dollar, so when the PayPal system sees this it can trigger a red flag and potentially put a hold on the funds.

This same thing could happen with regular "goods and services" payments, too, but may not be as likely. Again, there are many variables involved like the history of the buyer and seller, the type of product being sold, etc.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

biglongpapi
Contributor
Contributor

thank you!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.