Paypal dispute advice needed.

huynh0224

sorry if this is wrong place to post.

so i bought a set of wheels + tires from a private seller. when i received them, the tires were trash. the seller described them to be at 50% life left. so i opened dispute through PP for $100 (approx about what i paid for the tires without the wheels). PP ruled out that i was eligible for refund as items were not as described, but i have to return the tires to seller. th cost for shipping and handling of 4 tires are ~$100 or more. is there any other way i can go about this? as i only have 2 options to "provide tracking information" or  "cancel claim". 

thanks,

Login to Me Too
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solved

A_TeaMz
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry For The Late Response,

If The Items Is NOT As Described Then You Are Not Required To Pay For The Return Shipping As It Is The Sellers Resposibility To Pay For That. If For Whatever Reason You Have To Pay For It Then When You Pay For The Return Shipping You May Go To Your Account Overview & What PayPal Is Doing Now Is That They Pay For Your Return Shiping! Just Provide All The Required Info On The Application & PayPal Will Reimburse You The Cost For The Return Shipping BUT Like I Said, If Its Not As Described Then Seller Is Resposible For Paying For The Cost of Return Shipping! Hope I Helped Clairfy This For You Today! Thank You!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You I'll have to pay for return shipping up front and then request reimbursement from PayPal return on us  program. The amount you can get back is $30.  You have to activate it for your account first:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

In disputes, PayPal DOES NOT refund return shipping.  Just what you paid originally.  You will have to request return shipping cost separately as above url and it is only up to $30.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

This is all part of PayPal buyer protection policies which you accepted by paying with PayPal.  It is important to really understand buyer risk when you make a purchase.

Login to Me Too

huynh0224

yes, i am aware of that. under normal circumstance, i would send the item back and receive the refund. but in this case, the shipping and handling cost is equal or even more than the amount that of refund that i requested. I do not want to keep the tires, because they are trash and cannot (more like should not) be used for safety reason. i just do not like the fact that the seller scammed me and going to get away with it.

is there any chance i can negociate with paypal? 

Login to Me Too
Solved

A_TeaMz
Contributor
Contributor

If The Items Is NOT As Described Then You Are Not Required To Pay For The Return Shipping As It Is The Sellers Resposibility To Pay For That. If For Whatever Reason You Have To Pay For It Then When You Pay For The Return Shipping You May Go To Your Account Overview & What PayPal Is Doing Now Is That They Pay For Your Return Shiping! Just Provide All The Required Info On The Application & PayPal Will Reimburse You The Cost For The Return Shipping BUT Like I Said, If Its Not As Described Then Seller Is Resposible For Paying For The Cost of Return Shipping! Hope I Helped Clairfy This For You Today! Thank You!

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

if  you are referring to the free return shipping offer,the max is only 35 dollars.

Login to Me Too

huynh0224
Re: Paypal dispute advice needed.

I thought so too, since it is pretty standard return policy that seller should be held responsible for false description of the item. i've provided the evidence and screenshots of the seller messages to me. but since this is a private transaction, not like an official store, i guess not much PP can do in this case.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Not as described will require buyer to pay return shipping.

It is virtually impossible for PayPal to determine factually whether buyer or seller is truthful in such a dispute.  PayPal does not view product before or after shipment/receipt so PayPal make a best guess to determine the outcome.

It's all part of the risk buyers and sellers take with purcases and sales.

As a buyer you need to make sure you really do trust the seller; don't depend on PayPal to protect your lack of buyer judgement.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

how did he ship you the tires,who paid shipping?

Login to Me Too

huynh0224

it was tires and wheels. i paid for shipping $300. 

Login to Me Too

huynh0224

oh, I did not know that. this is paypal's reply. with this, i can surely get refund for the shipping cost?

Buyer reason(s):
  • Different

Status

After careful review, we have determined that you are eligible for a refund. To qualify for this refund, please ship the items whose claims were granted back to the seller in their original condition and keep your tracking information. You are responsible for shipping and handling costs.

Please mail to: <removed>

How would you like to respond?

Provide tracking information.Cancel claim.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.