Paypal charged the wrong card, even though the right card is set as "preferred payment". How to fix?

Zexi
New Community Member

I have my bank account and my credit card as possible payment optioins on PayPal. I've never had an issue with PayPal billing the correct payment source: my credit card. Every time I've used PayPal, it has billed my credit card, which is fine.

Recently, I made a very large purchase which not only did not go to my credit card, but when to a debit card on my bank account that I do not use, causing it to be overdrawn with possible fees.

My current settings never allow my bank to be a payment option. My credit card is the preferred payment so I do not know why this happened and I would like it to be fixed because it will cause severe issues with my finances.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

gailileo
New Community Member
I'm on the same exact boat. Ridiculous.
Login to Me Too

Justin167
Contributor
Contributor
I also had the same thing happen. My "fix" was just to delete my debit card from my account. I would like to file a complaint, but the only thing I found was telling me to fill out a claim. I tried it, but the only response I got was that the claim had been denied. I wasn't trying to ask for my money back, so that was aggravating.
Login to Me Too

bhaidacher
Contributor
Contributor

The preferred payment method is not respected.  It goes round robin, doesn't even try the other methods it finally started connecting directly to my bank and this gave me the creeps.... I changed banks and was about to register my new bank, but I have stopped the confirmation out of fear of unauthorized transactions. 

So much for the confidence in the system.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.