Payment Still On Hold

ckuester
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings!

I have received a payment on the 7th of January from an Ebay transaction. It is now the 31st and a payment is still on hold. 

I understand that there is a limit of 21 days, which could be reduced by adding a tracking number on your transaction. Delivery has been confirmed, but the customer has not yet left feedback. 

Criteria are for delays are: 

• You’re a new seller (whether on or off eBay); (nope)
  • You have a “Below Standard” seller rating on eBay; (nope)
  • The payment you received may be considered unusual for your selling pattern. (possibly -- I sold a WoW card instead of a MTG card)
  • Your account was inactive for a while (nope)
  • We found an unusual change in selling price of this transaction (it was sold far less than average BIN prices because it was a bid auction)
  • You’re selling an item that can potentially cause dissatisfaction with customers (if the card's code is claimed, then maybe -- it isn't)
  • We noticed you only recently started selling outside of eBay, so your history with us as an off-eBay seller is quite short. (nope)

If 21 days is not the actual timeframe, is there any place that I can find the information on what to expect for an actual timeframe?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

ckuester
Contributor
Contributor

I just called them (just today). Before I even told them what was going on, the lady already knew what the problem was because I assume that my account was pulled-up (based on my phone number) and she was able to dig-into my details. 

She said that "sometimes, because of 'updates in our system,' transactions are stuck on hold status."

I guess the issue was just a system glitch. 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ckuester

If its an Ebay hold then you need to ask Ebay.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Feedback no longer figure into funds being released but tracking and perhaps if the item sold/amount is high risk for disputes & chargebacks. Sometimes the system may take longer to confirm delivery.  If it has past 21 days, contact eBay to request the funds be released.  Allow up to a couple days to process.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

jhartmac
Contributor
Contributor

So why didn't paypay inform its customer base that feedback, tied bank accounts and credit cards are worthless? I mean at this point it means that eveyrone is a fraudelent.......it means the buyer has more protections then needed.........it means that paypal is now some clearing house that is able to justify holding peoples money for what? To float it to make more money??? Seriously? 

Login to Me Too

Ahardy
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing happened to me, sort of. My payment was withheld for the 21 days, they said, but I asked my buyer to please leave a positive comment. We had been in contact over this item, we gained a trust. She left one before the item arrived. The day it got to her I called paypal and asked if the funds could be released sooner. The woman, who by the way was in Manilla, told me I had to wait unless there was confirmation of arrival and positive comment. I told her there was both. Why it didn't show automatically,?. She looked into it and found it. Then said she would release the payment 24 hrs after mail delivery. Ok I said. I kept checking the next day, no payment. Finally called and told the guy my story. He said that she was mistaken. That there is NO WAY that woman had authority to authorize the clearance. That no one he knew did. And he mentioned that it was eBay holding it, not paypal. Yeah. He was wrong. About an hour later I get a notification that my item sold! I must ship now! From eBay. It said on January 26, today is the 31st. I look at paypal and low and behold, my money is there. Moral of my story: call and ask. Give the information they need. Then if they say no, call again and talk to someone else. Chances are Person A may know more or less than Person B. And one hand doesn't know what the other is capable of..... Ebay and paypal should have NEVER split! It seems to me that ebay was holding it because I didn't get it in paypal until the notification alert from ebay. Hmm? Curious. I was also told by the woman that if my item is cleared this won't happen again.... we'll see?
Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@ckuester

Are you sure that it's a 21-day hold situation? Does your "payment received" email message have this text...

"While you establish a successful eBay sales history, you may not have access to your money for up to 21 days."

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

ckuester
Contributor
Contributor

I have had multiple payments stay on hold for several days. This one says that it's still on hold and the only information that I can find as to why is that "it could take up to 21 days." It's past 21 days now, so I'm at a loss. 

"On hold, I am told, is 21 days." It is in "on hold" status. If I could show a screenshot of the Paypal Summary screen, it would say "Status: On Hold" If I took a screenshot of the dates, it would be as-described above. "

Here is a copy/paste: 

The e-mail says: "While you establish a successful eBay sales history, you may not have access to your money for up to 21 days. You may get it sooner, but it may take longer if your buyer reports a problem with the sale."'

There's no reason for this person to report a problem with the sale because there's nothing wrong with it (as-described) and he received more than he ordered (cuz that's the kinda' fella I am). 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ckuester wrote:

The e-mail says: "While you establish a successful eBay sales history, you may not have access to your money for up to 21 days. You may get it sooner, but it may take longer if your buyer reports a problem with the sale."'

There's no reason for this person to report a problem with the sale because there's nothing wrong with it (as-described) and he received more than he ordered (cuz that's the kinda' fella I am). 

You never know.  You can do everything right, the buyer can report a problem when you least expect it.  Anyway, contact eBay to release your funds.  You may have to call multiple times even.  And allow up to a couple days for processing.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

ckuester wrote:

If I could show a screenshot of the Paypal Summary screen, it would say "Status: On Hold" If I took a screenshot of the dates, it would be as-described above. "

@ckuester

For a 21-day held payment, the payment status should be... "Completed - Funds not yet available". It appears your hold has changed to something other than the 21-day hold.

I think you will need to call PayPal customer service. Please post an update when you learn more.

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sandypurins

Welcome back, long time no see  !!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.