Payment Scams

LatoyiaBlunt
New Community Member
I spoke with a potential buyer (assuming male) to purchase my phone. He contacted me through a different area code and told me he’d pay me extra for overnight shipping fees. He asked if I had an account through PayPal and I sent him my PayPal link. He then asked my email to verify my account. I sent it to him and I received an email in my junk folder from what seems like a legit PayPal email for a pending transaction of $300, until I sent the shipment tracking number. Thankfully, the post office was closed when the transaction was allegedly completed. As I look over my account activity, I do not see any pending transactions. It does make sense to me that the transaction pends until the transaction is verified and completed. However, it does not make sense to me that the email was sent in my junk mail and not my inbox as PayPal usually does and that I’m not able to locate the pending transaction in my activity even if the amount will not appear in my wallet until complete. I did admit to the buyer that I was verifying that the transaction was real and that I am not being scammed and he proceeds to tell me to email the representative in charge of the transaction as opposed to calling because I could be directed to a different representative. And my thoughts are that any representative would be able to clearly see if there really were charges that I cannot see.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LatoyiaBlunt

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item internationally (often Africa).

You will get/got a "fake" email (sometimes in your junk folder) that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LatoyiaBlunt

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item internationally (often Africa).

You will get/got a "fake" email (sometimes in your junk folder) that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

LatoyiaBlunt
New Community Member

The email is Notification via <removed> Is this an obvious scammer email or a legit PayPal email?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.