Paying through PayPal while aborad

Alycidon
Contributor
Contributor

Scenario:

A person does not have a PayPal account.

The person wishes to make a purchase from a UK retailer in Sterling.

The person had a Sterling credit/debit card.

The person happens not to be in the UK at the time they try and make the purchase.

The person reports that he is not allowed to complete the purchase because he is not in in the UK (as determined one presumes by the IP address).

Is this a PayPal policy?

If so why?

Is it something that can be resolved?

Will the use of a Proxy server work?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Alycidon

If a person does not have a paypal account then how is he going to pay with paypal?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Alycidon
Contributor
Contributor

Many retailers will accept payment through PayPal but if the customer does not have a PayPal account there is normally an option to just enter your card details without creating an account.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E2VCDt2glk at about 1.15

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Alycidon

Yes but that is paying as a guest buyer to a seller that processes that payment via their paypal card reader.

You do not often know how the seller is processing your payment.

But if you don't have a paypal account and are just paying via a card then what is the issue?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Alycidon
Contributor
Contributor

The issue is that it appears that if you are physically located in a country that is not the country of issue of the card you are blocked from using the card.  See my original scenario.

That, for example, someone wants to buy something from a UK retailer who only accepts PayPal while that person is sitting in a hotel room in (say) Ireland and tries to use their UK credit card.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.