PayPal defaulting to OLD address even after it has been removed (???)

A2Scooter
Contributor
Contributor

Recently made a rather large purchase using funds drawn from a bank account.  We moved to a new address out of state eight months ago, at which time I updated my PayPal profile and deleted EVERY old address and added/confirmed the new one.

When I made this latest purchase, I neglecting to notice that the OLD shipping address (which is no longer even in my profile anywhere) came up during the transaction.  I realize I could've changed it had I noticed it (no lectures on the obvious please).  I immediately contacted the seller in hopes that they would be able to correct it without making me jump through hoops (still waiting to hear back from them...it's a weekend).

The question is, HOW did the old address even come up?  The ONLY address I have in my profile is the new one.  I've made other purchases using that account since we've moved and not once has this happened before, until now.  What gives?

There's really no good way to bring this to the attention of PayPal without filing a dispute, which I don't want to.  My problem is with PayPal, not the seller.  Any suggestions?  Thanks -

Login to Me Too
38 REPLIES 38

Saracens
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone from Paypal view this community - I will not call them for this but I will close my account unless that allow me to explicitly manage my addresses...

Login to Me Too

brown8377
New Community Member

Same as everybody here.  Paypal purchases defaulting to a very old address and I have no way to fix it.  It caught me once and has almost caught me several other times.  And what's with the "Use this address as default checkbox"? I check it every time and it doesn't do squat.  This is embarrassingly bad Paypal.

Login to Me Too

xoxoJen
Contributor
Contributor

Similar thing happened to me - I checked out and there were somewhere around 9 variations of my SAME address to choose from. One had an extra space, another had an abbreviation, others had periods in different places, one had the zip +4 etc.

I checked my profile and I only have ONE address listed there.

Wouldn't  a seller use whatever address usps validates when they print the label, so why are there all these variations?

It's insane and needs to be fixed.

I really shouldn't have to call customer service to get a fix for an ONLINE service.

Login to Me Too

jawzzy
Contributor
Contributor

just got off the phone with PayPal Canada, and the guy was GREAT, kept me on the phone while he removed each address individually...longest list of old addresses that he had done or seen yet 😉   I mentioned all the complaints posted about this here, including that they still show up even after being removed, and he PROMISED me that they would all be gone and not reappear, so time will tell nex time I buy something!!!!  I asked if there was anything being done to put the lists online to be edited, and he said no, but when I suggested they put it under HISTORY in our profiles, he thought that was a great idea, and forwarded it to the site TECHS!!! ....  so we'll see.

Login to Me Too

PaperCraftLady
Contributor
Contributor

DITTO!!  It is SO frustrating!!!  No sense calling customer service since it sounds like what they do doesn't help anyway!

Login to Me Too

klh4511
New Community Member

Same thing keeps happening to me. When I check out with PayPal the address ends up being my old address. Right now someone at my old house is wearing my new Lucky Henly and waffle t-shirt.  Way to go paypal! I caught the bad address on another order today.

I called paypal and they said it might be due to "hidden address". Really??? They refunded my purchase amount.

Login to Me Too

nyvram
New Community Member

This is ridiculous and its happening to me as well.

I opened my Paypal account in 2000 (15 years ago) and stayed at the same address that entire time until about 3 months ago.

Now I am in the **bleep** of OLD default addresses showing up every time I make a purchase.  Paypal shows nothing but my current address and work address.  No way for me to find the 'historical' addresses and delete them.

This is beyond stupid paypal.  I've seen threads about this issue going back 7 years.   Why can't you fix this issue?

I have managed to catch it each time its happened but I am making lots of purchases (new house) and eventually I'm going to slip up and not notice its the wrong address.

Consider me an angry customer at this point. 

Login to Me Too

PaperCraftLady
Contributor
Contributor

I know, nyvram, it sure gets only changing your "default" shipping address with every single purchase you make, no matter where you are purchasing from!  Paypal is great, but I don't understand why they can't address this issue!

Login to Me Too

RaceyB
Contributor
Contributor

I'm currently having the exact same issue, after moving 9 months ago. The PP rep removed the hidden address, assured me it wouldn't happen again.... lo and behold, it happened again.... I immediately contacted PP and the agent was polite, but not very helpful. He again assured me the only address on file is my current verified address and told me I would need to contact the merchant.

10 days later, merchant has not responded and item has not been received at either current or old address....  Come on PP, this is ridiculous....I guess I'm done using PP merchant checkouts....  transaction now in dispute, have to wait a month...

I'm not a happy PP user of 16 years.....

Login to Me Too

jawzzy
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not saying that PP still doesn't have a problem with these old addresses, but I found that after PP removed all my bad addresses, eBay still had them, and when I checked out with the quick eBay checkout thru PP, old addresses still showed up, but it was eBay that still had them, NOT PP.

This whole old address stuff though is an absolute pain in the **bleep**, and should be made so we can control our own profiles on BOTH eBay and Paypal!!!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.