PayPal defaulting to OLD address even after it has been removed (???)

A2Scooter
Contributor
Contributor

Recently made a rather large purchase using funds drawn from a bank account.  We moved to a new address out of state eight months ago, at which time I updated my PayPal profile and deleted EVERY old address and added/confirmed the new one.

When I made this latest purchase, I neglecting to notice that the OLD shipping address (which is no longer even in my profile anywhere) came up during the transaction.  I realize I could've changed it had I noticed it (no lectures on the obvious please).  I immediately contacted the seller in hopes that they would be able to correct it without making me jump through hoops (still waiting to hear back from them...it's a weekend).

The question is, HOW did the old address even come up?  The ONLY address I have in my profile is the new one.  I've made other purchases using that account since we've moved and not once has this happened before, until now.  What gives?

There's really no good way to bring this to the attention of PayPal without filing a dispute, which I don't want to.  My problem is with PayPal, not the seller.  Any suggestions?  Thanks -

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Customer support can remove the old address for you, if you call them they should be able to take care of it. 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
38 REPLIES 38
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Customer support can remove the old address for you, if you call them they should be able to take care of it. 

Login to Me Too

A2Scooter
Contributor
Contributor

I spoke with PayPal Customer service and they were able to remove the old address.  HOWEVER, they did tell me that, although I have only my current address in my profile, PayPal automatically generates "hidden" (his words) addresses that I've used in the past to display as shipping options during the checkout process.  In my case, the address that appeared at the top of the list (in other words, the DEFAULT address) was in fact the OLD address.  Huh?  What's the point of having a manageable address list that I can't manage? 

This is incredibly worrysome.  I took the time months ago to DELETE all other addresses from my profile except my current, just so I did not have any mishaps and to speed up/simplify the checkout process.  I expect my default address to be the [only] one I have in my profile, yet PayPal has decided it is not.  Now I've got a fouled up transaction that I have to deal with.

Not cool, PayPal.

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Agree, there should be an option for the account owner to clean up these addresses without getting customer support involved.   

At least you were able to get assistance.

Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

5th_Avenue

I have a similar problem. I actually spoke with a Paypal customer Representative a few months back who informed me that they had deleted all of my previous *Hidden* Address but when I just purchased an item today on a online merchant's site that I had never been to before and checked out using their Paypal option, I noticed that my default shipping address was in fact my old address and when I went to change the address to my current address, I noticed all of the old addresses I ever used were still there. I've just spoken with 2 separate paypal representatives who confirmed on their end that all of the old address have been deleted and the only one they have on file is my current address. Can anyone provide me an explanation as to why the old hidden address can still be showing up when I check out on merchant's sites using paypal even after they've seemingly been deleted? The last Representative suggested clearing out my browser's cache, but I don't believe that will resolve my issue.

Thank you in advance.

Login to Me Too

I'm having the same issue. I "removed" old addresses when I mived a few months ago. After it defaulting to a "removed" address when making a purchase, I called PayPal who said they removed the old addresses. Now when making a purchase with a previously un-used vendor, my old addresses (even duplicates?!?!) show up and take the default. Why can't they hire programmer that actually know what they're doing?!?!

Login to Me Too

TIcelles

Keep checking as removing the "hidden" addresses does not seem to resolve the issue.

Login to Me Too

vscalifornia

Why wouldn't PP let us change our shipping addresses and preferences?

Why do we have to call them to manage our shipping to options?

It would be so much easier to let the customer manage their shipping to addresses, just like amazon does.

Especially if a city changes a zip code or the spelling of a word, we should be able to do so, without calling PP.

Any thought any one, on this simple request?

Login to Me Too

barbixy
New Community Member

I closed a business account named  Express Wetsuit Repair in August, 2015. I used the "send money" function on Nov 30, 2015. In my profile it is showing the correct name and address, but the recipient of the money, when they received transaction details in an email from PayPal notifying them of payment, they received the OLD account name and the OLD account email address. Two customer service reps could not solve the issue, one told me to clear my cache and cookies, but I am NOT seeing the OLD info in my browser, and my browser is set up to clear all cache and cookies every time the browser closes. There is no way my browser can insert old information from the cache, into Transaction Details sent in an email from PayPal to the recipient of the money. The recipient  received the wrong information on their end in an email from PayPal, that has nothing to do with my browser.

This problem came to my attention, because the seller (not an ebay transaction) which is why I used "send money" shipped the item I bought, to the OLD business name, and the post office called me saying there was a parcel sent to my address, but it was sent to Express Wetsuit Repair (the OLD account) and not to my name, Barbara Mau and was it intended for me? I sold Express Wetsuit Repair in August 2015 and closed that account, but this information is stll being sent out when I use the "send money" function. What shows in my browser is the correct profile and account info, but this is not what the person receiving the money is getting. The PayPal supervisor kept repeating "There is no problem because we don't see it" like I'm a **bleep** liar, insane or making it up.

I see the word "Attachments" here but no way to attach anything or I could attach the transaction details the recipient of the money sent me, showing the OLD account name of Express Wetsuit Repair, and the old email address on his transactoin details. :o(  Customer service including the supervisor, wasted over 90 minutes of my time on this, and don't know how to solve the problem Telling me there is no problem is not acceptable.

Login to Me Too

jjarmusz

I just had the same problem happen to me a few minutes ago. This is very frustrating. I do not have my old address saved anywhere in my PayPal account, I made sure I deleted it a long time ago after I moved and it only has the new one in my account settings, and has for some time now. But guess what? I just made a purchase online and realized too late that it put my old address in another state as the shipping address! Now I have to contact the seller and give them my real address and hope they see the message in time. What a pain. And this is not a problem that anyone should have to call customer service to get fixed on their account. When a person deletes an old address in their account settings online, it should just be gone, period, end of story. This is just bad service.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.