Outgoing transfers using linked bank account now taking a week

RhinoRhino

I've been using Paypal to send money as friends and family for quite a while at this point, using a linked bank account to immediately send money, with no issues. Recently (within the past few weeks, maybe as far back as 2 months), money that I send does not leave my bank account immediately anymore, and there is now a 7 day (!) waiting period for the money to leave my bank account and make it to the recipient. So far both my bank and paypal have been relatively unhelpful with trying to revert to immediate transfer of funds, and I was wondering if anyone else is having/has had the same issues. Or if anyone has any ideas on how I can resolve this. 

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Add a credit card if you want instant payments.

Login to Me Too

RhinoRhino

I have had a debit card and a credit card linked the entire time. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Then there are other risk issues or past transactions you have not disclosed here.

Login to Me Too

RhinoRhino

Would an outstanding Paypal Credit balance affect this? That's one of the only things that has changed, as far as I can remember. Otherwise it's been smooth sailing as far as money sent and received. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

An outstanding PayPal Credit balance would not be a problem UNLESS you have been late for required payments or have payments in default.

A negative PayPal balance at any time would be a serious risk issue.

Login to Me Too

RhinoRhino

Haven't missed or been late for a payment yet, and the only time I've ever had a negative balance I resolved it within minutes. 

I know that it seems unlikely that I'm doing everything correctly and still having this issue, so thanks for being patient. I'm likely going to send an email over to Paypal to see if they can pinpoint the issue for me. I just didn't know if it was something common that I was missing. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Why did you have a negative balance?  Reason would be important.

Has a bank request ever been denied to insufficient funds?  REALLY important.

Risk factors also include frequency of friends/family payments.

If you are making too many too close together there could be an issue.

Destination of payments would be constantly evaluated.

The $ amount of transfers would matter.

PayPal will NOT repond to account specific issues by email.

You would need to phone PayPal support for help; just be aware that PayPal will not provide information on specific risk issues as that would then allow uses to look for ways to circumvent security models.

Login to Me Too

RhinoRhino

Best I can tell it was a paypal transaction where no alternate payment methods were attempted. I have 4 payment methods besides my balance that are available, and a $10 transaction was not accepted and instead just made my balance negative. 

I make quite a few F&F transactions, to a lot of destinations (Russia, Singapore, Japan, most of the EU, a lot in USA)

I would say in the thousands both sending and receiving over the course of the month (I buy a lot of Collectible cards

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

My guess is that a recent negative balance could have a serious risk impact.

Too many friends/family payments cost PayPal money as there is no fee.  

If you are using friends/family for purchases you are putting your account at serious risk of being limited.  High volume transactions for sending means that you need a very high credit available  balance to cover for all of them.  When that risk is too high then PayPal would need to get funds from your checking account and delay payments.

As you have gradually disclosed more information, my guess is that the souce of risk would soon be obvious if you disclosed your real transction activities.

Waiting for funds from your bank should be an alert that you need to reduce the risk of your activities as the next step could be a sudden account limit.

Check PayPal User Agreement for Restricted Activities which can get your account suddenly limited permanently.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.