No more "Other conversion options"

Rohff
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

During checkout I want to use my bank exchange rate rather than Paypal's.

I used to be able to do that but since by my debit card was renewed a few weeks ago, the option is not there anymore.

I've contacted Paypal several times about it but they act like the option is still there.

Of course the present situation is good for them and bad for me.

What can I do?

Login to Me Too
54 REPLIES 54

thepowerof4
Contributor
Contributor

THE OPTION IS STILL THERE TO CHANGE WITH EVERY PURCHASE! IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO UNLINK YOUR EBAY AND PAYPAL ACCOUNTS!!!

On the checkout page, expand the PayPal option with the little down-arrow and click on the exhange rage (for exmple 1EUR = 1USD), then click on the Conversion rate options in the small pop-up, then after the second login, select "Your card issuer's rate" and then Agree. That's it

REMEMBER TO DO IT ON EVERY PURCHASE!

Obviously the new redisign was made with the idea to hide this very well and hidden it was... until a new redesign.

But I promise PayPal this - no matter how many times you hide this, I will not make another purchase until I can find it, if ti's still there. If it is not - no more purchases for me. Scamming scum!

Login to Me Too

diego005
New Community Member

agree, they blocked option to change currency conversion rates during Christmas! when i try change it during eBay checkout, it writes

PayPal

Things dont appear to be working at the moment.
Please try again later.

i tried it +10 times, but again and again this error appeared 😞

Login to Me Too

Jorgelrm
New Community Member

I agree, my Paypal didn't allow me to do that, and the message "Things don't appear to be working at the moment. Please try again later." appears all times I try.

Login to Me Too

Alex_KV
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same  "Things don't appear to be working at the moment. Please try again later."

Login to Me Too

EdwinRD

Good Morning,

I'm having trouble with the "Exchange rate" on Ebay. When I try to choose the option that my bank is responsible for the currency exchange of the currency of my credit card, I get the following message: "Things do not appear to be working at the moment. " I have been trying for several days, and have not yet solved the problem. I do not want to buy the items without that mentioned option, because they will come out much more expensive than necessary, and would be a loss of money.

I hope you can respond to this message, and solve the problem as soon as possible.

Thank you very much.

Login to Me Too

mmbb29
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue with conversion options on Ebay, but I FOUND A WORKAROUND. I posted it to another thread, but I'm going to post it also here, so more people with this issue will notice it. Here is what you have to do:

1. Go to the checkout, choose PayPal and fill out your login information.

2. Instead of selecting your card and the conversion options, click on Switch account and DON'T fill anything in.

3. Open a new tab, go to paypal.com and log in to your account.

4. Switch back to previous tab and fill out your PayPal login information again.

5. You will be redirected to the older version of checkout, where the conversion options is working.

I didn't invent this method, I found it on google with help of google translator. It worked for me and I hope it will work for others, who have this issue.

Login to Me Too

Hristozov
New Community Member
I can also confirm that this error occurs after pp introduced the new payment page. I truly hope this will be resolved soon because it gives them a simple excuse to charge extra fees. If the new method is not ready then simply don't introduce it yet.
Login to Me Too

MarcC
New Community Member

17th April 2017.  Contacted PP who acknowledged that the "other conversion options" on the eBay checkout page disappeared after a system upgrade and that someone will get back to me within 72 hours.  I asked that the extra I had been forced to pay should be refunded but the agent said she could not do that but would bring it to the attention of whoever is going to contact me within 72 hours.

At the moment, I am not happy at all and that is putting it mildly.  In the meantime, no further eBay purchases for me.

Login to Me Too

cal800

I don't really don't like how the currency options is missing by paypal but ebay sometimes have the best deal and not using eBay can make you pay more.

However Ebay and Paypal seperated sometime ago. When making purchases Ebay gives you the option of bypassing Paypal completely. They have a pay by credit card option and lets you save cards. They will bill your card in the actual currency of the auction.

So that is what I am using now until Paypal decides to fix this issue...or perhaps not if they are making tonnes of money on the conversion rates.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.