No more "Other conversion options"

Rohff
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

During checkout I want to use my bank exchange rate rather than Paypal's.

I used to be able to do that but since by my debit card was renewed a few weeks ago, the option is not there anymore.

I've contacted Paypal several times about it but they act like the option is still there.

Of course the present situation is good for them and bad for me.

What can I do?

Login to Me Too
54 REPLIES 54

Ukrainian
Contributor
Contributor

Same story here. Luckyly I saw some signs of currency conversion (references to local currency never seen before) and paid 1 USD instead of 900+ to check. Just to see there are extra 4% taken on top, due to unwanted conversion. Created a message to PP support, let's see the development. That isn't normal.

Login to Me Too

Alex_KV
Contributor
Contributor

paypal support can't resolve it, for me they hold my card to USD manually, but when I buy in EUR, now conversation from USB to EUR  Smiley Mad  Smiley Frustrated

Login to Me Too

gorann
Contributor
Contributor

Can you clarify? your answer doesnt make much sense. They told you to use card with USD curency? They did not said this will be fixed?

Anybody else got answer from customer support? (Im stll waiting email response)

Login to Me Too

Ukrainian
Contributor
Contributor

My CC is in USD, i live in Ukraine. PP based on the dumb assumption that i live in UA so my currency MUST be UAH, charge my card in UAH (local curremcy) despite all checkboxes, etc.

Experienced this problem while paying for goods in USD.

NOT on Ebay, directly from PP "Send payment" page.

Login to Me Too

Ukrainian
Contributor
Contributor

Another thread on this issue: /t5/About-Payments/where-is-the-currency-conversion-option/td-p/920926/page/4

Clents are paying double fee, PP has double profit and no notifications were sent.

Login to Me Too

Beans1234
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. I called PayPal and i was told that it's not PayPal, but the credit card was not able to do the currency conversion. Hello, visa not being able to convert? What lies.

i also didn't get any errors before the purchase went through. In fact, when I repeated the purchase without finalizing the purchase, the conversion rate from PayPal was clearly displayed. They didn't even attempt to make the conversion with visa.

Login to Me Too

Ukrainian
Contributor
Contributor

pp_conversion_problem1.jpg

And there is no way to change this. "Bill me in the currency listed on the seller's invoice" doesn't affect this at all.

As anyone can see conversion is performed by paypal.

It was optional before, now it's mandatory?

Login to Me Too

Alex_KV
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue, - земляк ))

only paypal support can help you, but they can only put force your card to USD or EUR

Login to Me Too

Ukrainian
Contributor
Contributor

Привьет. ))

I need to pay now, not waiting for support to react. They didn't reply yet, just wonder how many claims they are receiving now and how long will it take to help.

It is weird for top payment provider to act like this. Some people tell it last for a week and here is a quote from the other site:

Answer from PP:

“in October 2016 PayPal have introduced new payment method and at the moment the feature to be ‘Billed in sellers currency invoice currency’ is not available at the moment. We hope to have this feature operating soon again but we have no set date as of yet. We will try our best.

WTF – it is not a solution

Nice, eh? As of now "trying your best" costs additional 4% on top of every forcefully "converted" from USD to USD amount.

Login to Me Too

Alex_KV
Contributor
Contributor

мне пришлось завести отдельные USD и EUR карты и попросить саппорт принудительно закрепить на этих картах в аккаунте валюты USD и EUR Smiley Mad 

попроси на свою гривневую прикрепить USD, тогда при оплате в USD будет ковертировать твой банк, а не палка, правда с евро ну и другими валютами будет и дальше лажа Smiley Frustrated

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.