Nigeria Fraud - What Should I Do?

dzjakimias
New Community Member

Hi,

I am 100% sure that I faced fraud from Nigeria and now do not know what should I do. I googled my situation, buyers addresses, etc. and everything pointed to paypal forums where people were describing the same situation as mine and reporting it as fraud from Nigeria. Here is a brief:

I wanted to sell my phone on ebay, someone created ebay account on the same day (so no reviews or starts on account) and bought my phone without payment. The buyer (Linda <removed>) said she bought the phone for her fiance as a birthday gift so she want me to send the phone asap. She also asked for my paypal address to pay for it and shipping. When I went to her profile I was a bit surprised and suspicious to see that account was just created, but the most strange thing was that her address was acctually in Germany and when I googled it, it was not correct and pointed some kind of district/village. I sent some more pictures of the phone (as requested by Linda), asked to confirm her address and gave my paypal email together with invoice to pay for phone + £9 shipping to Germany (again as Linda requested), but instead of address confirmation I just received a private message from her to ebay that "payment has been made" and email saying that she is on business trip and her fiance is now in Nigeria, so I need to send my phone there and she adds £40 me for shipping. That appeared too strange and complicated to me, I mean I did not agree to ship my phone to Nigeria (where it could be confiscated on the board, I think) and she put me in situation where I am pushed to do what I do not want. So I started googling about sending items to Nigeria. Everything pointed to forums where the guys were distribing the same situations as mine. Then I googled her fiance's address - and it pointed again to forums about frauds. I opened my paypal and there were no money in it. I am very happy that I read those forums, but now I do not know what to do.

How can I cancel my order on ebay? I mean which cancellation reason should I select so that I could relist my phone? Also what about paypal - what to do if after a few days I will see payment on my account which will be temporarily held and awaiting tracking code (as I read in the forums)? And should I send something to "Linda" and inform about cancellation? What to do if she would start requesting money back from me?

Thank you for your answers in advance!

p.s. here is the details of both people, please be careful!

Linda <removed> <removed> Sangerhausen DE 06511  - BUYER; ebay profile: https://www.ebay.com/usr/lipr05?ul_noapp=true

Olufemi <removed>, <removed>, Abeokuta, 23409, Ogun, Nigeria - FIANCE
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

ayeronnie

Why are you even worrying about this? How much more clear can it be? She is trying to scam you and pressure and bully you into sending her the phone. Don't send it.

I don't use Ebay, so don't know how to cancel, but sure there is a way, contact them if you need to. Cancel it and relist it. Don't give "her" another second of thought.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.