Never had payment put on hold before, but my most recent sale has been held. What has changed?

Mewtwo
New Community Member

I've been using PayPal for many years, and have sold things in many different niches - video game consoles, video games, trading cards, and off and on I have sold iPads.

My most recent transaction was an iPad Pro sale.  This transaction's funds are on hold.  I sold two iPads prior (six total in 2018).  One came back as a fraudulent buyer - thank you Seller Protection for covering me!

I understand high risk transactions need more vetting - I have wanted a way to flag a transaction as potentially risky from my end for PayPal to look into it further for a while.  But when I sold three iPads in a week, one smaller model to someone with 566 feedback (who I believe is legitimate), one larger model to a user with 7 feedback (who I do have questions about), and another of the larger model to someone with 380 feedback, why did the 380 feedback transaction get a hold, and not the 7 feedback one?  Is this a beginning of a 35 day hold period (I see PayPal re-evaluates every 35 days) because I have sold a high number of iPads in a short time?  Is this happening now because of a certain number of Seller Protection claims that were paid as people were using stolen credit cards/accounts to purchase items from me in the past?  Or is this a new program rolling out and a combination of factors have me placed in a risk pool with that particular item now?

Am I going to have every electronic item I sell subject to a holding period, or is it going to be specific to the one item that was recently flagged?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

It may just be a random security check - it happens.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.