Netflix Recurring Payment - Not Working w PayPal Extras Mastercard for Online Purchases

user31415927
New Community Member

I recently changed my Payment Preferences for "Paying online" from "Choose a payment method at checkout" to "PayPal Extras Mastercard." This morning, upon using Netflix, it stated they were unable to process my last payment and requested I update my Payment Information. When I click the "Update Payment" button and click "Continue to PayPal," the PayPal site asks me to please add a debit or credit card to my account.

Why is this happening?

1. I already have a credit card on my account (PayPal Extras Mastercard), and it is my preferred payment for online purchases. I made a small purchase earlier this morning with no problem.
  2. I attempted to add the PayPal Extras Mastercard on the PayPal Checkout page I was redirect to from Netflix, and I received the following message: "Sorry, but you can’t add a PayPal credit card to your account. Please try a different card." I even attempted to "link a card" with my PayPal Extras Mastercard in PayPal, and I received the following message: "Sorry, we are not able to process your request. Please try again later."
  3. I cancelled my recurring payment setup in PayPal for Netflix, and retried all of the above (after clearing my cache and sessions) without any success.

I tried the following and experienced success, or so I think. But it does not make any logical sense why this would work.

1. Go to PayPal Settings (gear icon).
  2. Click "Preapproved Payments" under Payment Settings.
  3. Click "Set Available Funding Sources" in the top right of the table header row.
  4. Add a checkmark for my bank account row. (Note that PayPal Extras Mastercard was *already* checked).
  5. Click the "Save" button.
  6. Return to Netflix.com and click the "Update Payment" button, then proceed to PayPal.
  7. On the PayPal Checkout screen, I am asked for verification to "Agree & Continue" to setup recurring billing to my "PayPal Extras MasterCard" with the option to "Change" what account I would use to set up the payment.

So, again, why is this happening in the first place? Is the PayPal Extras MasterCard not accepted or offered as an option unless there is a bank account or credit card tied to the online payment sources?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

ZenNetta
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem but with a regular debit/credit card used for reoccuring payments.  Would love to see a response to this.  

Login to Me Too

Solarfinder
New Community Member

I haven't seen a response yet.  I am having the same issue.  I can use PayPal on other sites, just not Netflix.  It's quite frustrating.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.