My refund went back to a non-reloadable Visa gift card I linked to my Paypal.

DaganEldr
Contributor
Contributor

Hello! I want to apologise ahead of time, as I'm not quite sure where a topic like this would belong, but long story short, I had a case opened through Ebay on an item I'd paid for with a (Paypal linked) non-reloadable Visa gift card from Wal-Mart. I had the case in my favor and a refund got issued, but it was sent right back to that card. It shows that it's 'completed' in Paypal, but neither my gift card balance, nor my Paypal balance have been updated. The only saving point to this may be the fact that it's been less than 24 hours, but wouldn't that show as a pending refund, rather than completed already if that's the case?

Who do I have to email/call in order to get my funds either adjusted back to my non-reloadable card properly, or sent to my Paypal account? This seems like a pretty confusing run-around so far.

Thank you ahead of time. 🙂

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Quandary
Advisor
Advisor

How your money is refunded depends on how you made the original payment.

* If you paid with a credit card, the money is refunded to your card.
* If the card you paid with is closed or invalid, the money will still be refunded to your credit card account.
* If you paid with your bank or PayPal account balance, the money is refunded to your PayPal account.  After you have received the refund, you can withdraw money from your PayPal balance to your bank account.
* If you paid using a credit card and your PayPal account balance, the amount paid by credit card is refunded to your card.  The remaining amount is refunded to your PayPal account.
* If you paid using PayPal Credit, the amount is refunded to your PayPal Credit account.
* If you paid with a debit card, the amount is refunded to your debit card.  If the refund cannot be applied to your debit card, it will be applied to your PayPal balance.

Refunds to credit or debit cards can take up to 30 days depending on the card company involved.

Additional info - if the refund is sent to an old card:

When PayPal refunds money back to a card, the card issuer/bank receives the funds and will post them back to the appropriate account.  If they do not do this, the funds are usually sent back to Paypal.  PayPal will then post them into your PayPal balance.  The bad news is, the process can take 30 days or longer before PayPal gets the funds back.  PayPal recommends you contact your card issuer and let them know a refund was sent to the old card so they can assist you by locating that refund and/or expediting the return of funds.

Login to Me Too

DaganEldr
Contributor
Contributor

Ouch! That 30 day wait is a long time to risk. Is there perhaps anything I can do after that 30 days if it doesn't process by then? I ask since I know most policies invalidate recovery attempts that are made after 30 days, perhaps with the exception of Paypal.

Login to Me Too

Sassysaturn
New Community Member

I no longer have my card so do I lose my money? Mine says complete.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.