Money securely on hold till goods received and positive feedback left?

Sunshinyday
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone 

i live in in the U.K. and I am looking to buy a car that was advertised as a classified add on eBay, unfortunately cash on collection isn't going to happen ( my issue not the sellers ). Seller has suggested I pay in full via PayPal as they believe the money is held securely by PayPal until I confirm deliver with positive feedback, if I am mot happy I just tell PayPal and my money is returned. I have Also read that cars are not covered by PayPal protect. Can anyone confirm/explain this for me please? 

Thank you 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

No PayPal buyer protection for vehicles.

eBay has separate polices for vehicles sold from the Ebay vehicle section.  Was the vehicle listed on eBay motors or regular eBay.

Paying with PayPal is very high risk for the SELLER as the BUYER can claim non-delivery and get a refund.

In any case, I think the concept if high risk for both and it's better off to buy from know local businesses.

Login to Me Too

Sunshinyday
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone, just a quick update to say that this was in fact a scame! I received a fake email supposed to be from PayPal. On further investigation by checking the domain name it was actually a fake sent by the guy selling the car! I obviously stopped all communication then and reported the advert to eBay, PayPal and the police. Unfortunately though the advert is still live, I really hope no one else is ticked by this horrible person, though I know it's very likely they will be. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

These scams will exist as long as there are gullible "buyers".

I think the best defense is education about buying and selling on the internet and recognition of scam emails and addresses.

Login to Me Too

Mastherser
Contributor
Contributor
I'm not sure how much this car is not I would not be any means use PayPal for such big purchase , they will only scam you and the seller. Find another way. Best of luck to you and yes the seller is correct paypal does hold funds to collect interest on said funds , hence why they are crooks.
Login to Me Too

Mastherser
Contributor
Contributor
An also positive feedback left by either party buyer or seller means nothing to eBay or PayPal. They will continue to hold funds.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.