Mexico - Send money to friends and family

Psychguy
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I tried to send my friend money in Mexico after telling her how awesome PayPal is. The only option I had at the time was to send her money via the "goods or services" option. I naively thought this wouldn't charge a fee because nothing indicated that it would on the recipient's end from my screen. 

I'm not a fan of this type of process. It comes off as deceptive and I only saw the fee after she received the money. I understand now PayPal has other partnerships that allow you to transfer money in specific ways for a fee but I strongly feel that there should be no fee associated with sending money to your family and friends. 

What alternatives exist to PayPal that have either no fee or is significantly less? 

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

There is no free lunch,even though domestic friend and family could be free,someone is subsidising you,for keeping Paypal open for business.

As for sending money overseas,there is a fee schedule on Paypal site ,it depends on country.

there are fees for using a card instead of Paypal fund or bank transfer (debit and credit),conversion fee from one currency t o another,exchange rate.

if you are sending US$ to your Mexican friend in MEXICO,his local currency would be pesos,so Paypal will charge 3% to convert your US $ to pesos,she would end up receiving less.

now if she adds to her account that she would accept US $ and keep them as US$,there would be no conversion fee of 3% and it would show up as a separate balance in US $ .

IF YOU DECIDE to send her pesos,Paypal will convert your US $ INTO pesos,and you pay conversion fee,unless you hold pesos in your account.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

you said you have send her fund under goods and services,that puts her as a seller and she pays paypal transaction fee and discount fee.

Login to Me Too

Psychguy
Contributor
Contributor

There are numerous money transfer platforms that don't charge a fee. PayPal also collects interest on funds stored on their end. Educate yourself about these types of business models before spouting off about "free lunch". 

I understand the fee scheduled, I stated that in my initial post. 

Your reply is unhelpful, unwise and inconsiderate to my initial point. I'm looking for international alternatives to PayPal. 

Please bring your jibber jabber volunteer advisement elsewhere. Thanks. 

Login to Me Too

Psychguy
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not reading your drivel. Troll somewhere please hall monitor, I'm hoping to get an actual answer. 

Login to Me Too

Flinty17
New Community Member

there are many ways of sending money

its far better to use a pc/laptop browser NOT the app on an iphone

friends and family

goods and services

friends and family abroad

Login to Me Too

AndrewMexico
New Community Member

I used to be able to send money to people in Mexico as friends and family without the merchant commission being taken out.  However, PAYPAL without any notice have changed their policy so that you cannot sent money to friends or family in mexico only merchants.  Bye bye .. I am going to Remitly for my future payments.  

Login to Me Too

rossgo

I just sent 15,000 pesos to Mexico from Canada (paying the exchange at my end) for goods and services which is the only way PayPal will now send funds to Mexico and was charged $778.64 pesos ($53.30 CAD) for the transfer. Of course, the person I sent the money to is only crediting me with $14,221 pesos. Not looking for a "free lunch" but the most economical means of sending funds to Mexico on a regular basis. It seems that PayPal is no longer it.

Login to Me Too

Duja
New Community Member

Inside Mexico and the charge was almost 10%!!!! this is a lot!!

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

US post office .

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.