Lost payment

equinedriver
Contributor
Contributor

SOmeone sent me money to an account that does not exist. They used the wrong email address. Paypal is refusing to cancel the payment and let her resend it to the correct address that my account is under. They are telling her that I have to open a new account to get the money. This is crap. I don't want another account. I am unable to reach them by phone. How can they accept a payment to an account that does not exist, then refuse to release the money?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

if the payment is unclaimed,it will go back to her account in 30 days.

In the mean time,she can send you another payment using the correct email address you use to open your Paypal account,there is no need to open a new one.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Senders cannot just arbitrarily cancel payments.  That's the policy.

If the money was sent to a non-existent email and PayPal account it will be returned after about 30 days.

If the money goes to someone else's PayPal account, then it belongs to the recipient.

Assuming it went to a non-existent email, then you would need to claim that email address as your own and then add it to your current PayPal account.  Once it is confirmed in your current PayPal account, then you could receive the money.

If another party creates the correct email address in the meantime, then the other party could claim the money.

So, take your chances as you want.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@DPCreations wrote:

Senders cannot just arbitrarily cancel payments.  That's the policy.

If the money was sent to a non-existent email and PayPal account it will be returned after about 30 days.

If the money goes to someone else's PayPal account, then it belongs to the recipient.

Assuming it went to a non-existent email, then you would need to claim that email address as your own and then add it to your current PayPal account.  Once it is confirmed in your current PayPal account, then you could receive the money.

If another party creates the correct email address in the meantime, then the other party could claim the money.

So, take your chances as you want.

asking  her to add an invalid PAYPAL EMAIL addr to her Paypal account is not a good idea,it could be a different ISP and if Paypal sent an email to that address,she would never know

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.