I opened 2 tickets in order to change default cards currency and I got no reply after confirmation.

adrianTNT
Contributor
Contributor

I am hoping someone from PayPal can have a look at this and get a reply from them ...

I have around 5 cards associated with PayPal, in USD, EUR and RON.

PayPal always charges a different currency especially for automated payments where you have no option to switch currency ...

For an EUR card paypal charges me in RON (converting the amount), then my bank also converts the amount from RON to EUR (card currency) when there should be no conversion at all, this is absurd.

I opened two tickets and specified correct currency for each card, I only got the confirmation email but no reply, last one was opened 11 days ago, this is the ID from subject line:

VV44REXGE (KMM134903673V98734L0KM) :ppEU

Also when I make the payment manually, on checkout page after you select the right currency it also changes your card number, so if you are not careful you still end up with conversions. 

Seeing these fishy practices makes me think PayPal earns more from conversions than from normal payment fees. 

They say you need to contact them in order to associate correct currency, when you could just have a simple option when managing the cards.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

TheJayJayStore
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

From my experience in building websites, I'm not a professional, PayPal gets the currency from the website that you purchase from. Which means that the website owners gets to choose which currency you purchase with. Small business tend to choose only 1 currency while larger business's either let's you choose which currency to use on their website or they choose the currency based on your location (such as Pesos if you're in Mexico, Euro if you're in Ireland, Japanese yen if you're in Japan, etc.). You can always follow these steps to change your primary currency:

1. Click Wallet at the top of the page.
  2. Click Manage currencies.
  3. Select the radio button next to the currency you'd like to designate as your primary.
  4. Click Make Primary.

Also, this could be just a technical error. If so, then you can contact PayPal's technical support either by phone at https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/contact/call or by email at https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/contact/email.

Did this help? Let me know by giving me some kudos and selecting this as the solution. Otherwise, go ahead and reply to this message with the correct solution. Also, help other's in this community! Enjoy!

Login to Me Too

adrianTNT
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks but it's not that.

That is why I have cards in 3 currencies, so I can pay whatever currency seller wants for his products/services.

On a checkout page in EUR I want to pay with my EUR card without paypal or my bank converting anything.

I also develop sites for 14 years, I can see the PayPal checkout page is doing funny things in order to force a conversion.  

I select the card to pay with, and as soon as I select NOT to make a conversion paypal switches to another card (resulting in another conversion) unless I notice it and change card or conversion option again. 

Also, why would I receive the ticket confirmation but no reply about this ? And why not just allow us to set the proper card currency when editing the cards in paypal account ?! Because they make tons of money from conversions.

I am sure I would receive a fast reply after I fill some customer complaint forms with european authorities, that always make things work.

Login to Me Too

TheJayJayStore
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
Wait, your from Europe? I don't think PayPal has a European community forum - just the USA. If you have a European based account, then I wouldn't know how to help you. Sorry. I see that you have tried contacting PayPal, already, but have you tried contacting them either by phone or email?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.