I'm not seeing my refund yet. How long does it take?

Red5oxFan13
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a couple things a few days ago for around $145 and it apparently went through, but then the company canceled the transaction and issued me a refund. I got the email from the company and paypal saying my refund was issued. When I look on my recent payment history on paypal it shows the transaction and it says refunded but the money is not in my bank account or my paypal account.

I paid directly from my bank account not a credit card. How long will it be for me to see my refund?

Login to Me Too
152 REPLIES 152

sweetgrl224
Contributor
Contributor
The payment was made thru a bank account attached to my PayPal account
Login to Me Too

missp478
New Community Member

The same thing just happened to me. I purchased an order via Paypal on 12/21 and cancelled the order thru the company the same day. I received an email from both Paypal and the company of 12/22 that the money was refunded. On 12/23 my bank account shows an insufficient fund from the company via Paypal for the purchase. Plus I noticed they went back on today,  12/30, and took the money out of my account via Paypal for the same purchase I cancelled. I filed a dispute w/Paypal regarding the matter and they closed the case saying it was refunded! This is ridiculous. I'm calling them on tomorrow when they open to get my money back!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

This is because when you pay a seller it is never instant > paypal would have credited the seller for you and then started the process of uploading the funds from your bank account.

When you were "refunded" you were then in credit x2 payments in theory as the funds from your bank account had still not left yet.

That then left on the 30th and the refund is processing back to your bank account at the same time.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

derrygurl
Contributor
Contributor
This is complete BS. I paid for an item via PayPal 3 weeks ago and the refund is now being processed. It doesn't take 3 weeks for Paypal to request funds from a credit or debit card.
Login to Me Too

sharon4750
New Community Member

I never received a product that I bought.  I got an e-mail saying that a refund was issued.  I paid with Bill Me Later.  Where will my refund go?  Where shall I look for it? And how long does it take?  At the present time it is not on my Bill Me Later account or on my Paypal account.

Sharon4750

Login to Me Too

Blue2013
New Community Member

Ok why does it take paypal so long to refund your money?They take it out fast !! Why dont they do the same for refunds.By the time you get it back to your bank account it will be two weeks!! Or more!!

Login to Me Too

ann237
Contributor
Contributor
Any refund when being issued that is not a face to face cash transaction can take in some cases up to 7 days. I never could understand how taking money out happens in a matter of seconds, but trying to get it back well... I have been reading a lot of comments about the refund being in your pay pal accounts, but they are holding it, that you need it transferred to your bank. First did you know that pay pal has a free debit card that's a visa or MC? Yes free you then have immediate use too your money in the PP acct. plus they even give cash back, mine has been a great addition to my pp acct. I buy I use that, I sell I use that. I have always found pp very helpful and remember they can only go as fast as the SYSTEM & LAWS will allow in dealing with others money.
Login to Me Too

hannie5
Contributor
Contributor

I have a question regarding refunds that go back onto gift cards linked with PayPal and also, I used a part of my Ebay gift certificate money.  The Ebay money was taken first which is $4.09 and the gift card money is $49.46.  Does anybody have any idea how long this refund could take?  My account says Pending but it was only refunded a day ago.

Login to Me Too

kayoatwell
Contributor
Contributor

This is the second time I have had a refund to paypal. The first time I never saw the money. This time it's nearly $200, the status says "refund complete," and I don't see the money anywhere. It is not in my paypal account, not in my bank account. The number of complaints about this situation are troubling.

Login to Me Too

snickers4me
New Community Member

The paypal system is not equiped i do not think to handle money like a bank does. They can take it out in 5 minutes and then  when it comes to a refund  they put it on hold for 5 days goes back to your paypal account and then another 3 days to get this put back into your checking account. I am thinking that maybe there is a better way to buy things but not thru paypal takes to long.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.