I accidentally sent money to the wrong person TWICE via friends and family.

JeremyDMeyer76
Contributor
Contributor

I had owed a friend of mine some money so I tried sending him  $50 using the Paypal app on my phone. I typed his name into the "send to" box, his name popped up and i sent the money. I couple days later he sent me a message asking if I had sent the money yet. I thought it was odd so I looked at my bank account and the payment hadnt gone through so I just sent it again thinking maybe something went wrong so I just stupidly sent it again. The next day he messgaed me saying he still hasnt recieved the money. This time I looked at my Paypal account only to find out I sent it to a person who shares the same name as my friend but is obviously the wrong person. Both transactions are now complete and I have tried reaching the person via email but of course they are ignoring me.

Is there anything that can be done? From what I've read being it was sent via friends and family I have no protection and am just out the money. It's a stupid emabarrasing mistake but I'm hoping that i can somehow get my money back. To make matters worse most of the $100 was taken directly out of my bank account which as far as I know offers little fraud protection compared to a credit card.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The transactions were fully authorized so there was no fraud.

The recipient is under no obligation to return the money.

Apparently you know this other person since you have the name and email on your phone.  Assuming it is, therefore, a real friend you could politely ask for the money back.

Other than that, just a lesson to be more careful in future and perhaps use your PayPal account on your computer rather than the app.  Monitoring your account on your computer is really important, as you have learned.

Login to Me Too

JeremyDMeyer76
Contributor
Contributor
Actually, I don't know the other person. I have no idea how I was even able to re d the money to someone not in my contacts list. Lesson learned I guess. Hopefully the person used the money I sent for something they actually need.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

you have 2 friends who share the same name???????????

Login to Me Too

JeremyDMeyer76
Contributor
Contributor
Actually, no. I have no idea who this other person is.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.