How to link IPN messages to users?

JonathanJS
New Community Member

On the website I'm building I'm including a paypal subscribe button. Most everything is working fine in the sandbox. The user is processed through paypal's system and my IPN listener receives the notifications. One major issue that I'm running into is how to reliably link these notifications with a user on my website. The way I have it set up is they have to register before being able to subscribe so I can guarantee there will be a user linked with each notification.

I could use the payer_email. But what if they use a different email to sign up to my website than the one they use for paypal? I could use the payer_id but run into a similar issue. I don't have the payer_id linked to the email they used to sign up to my website. And the emails may not be the same. I could first see if they use the same email, link the notifications to the user if they do, then have them input their paypal email if I can't find it but that seems horribly insecure. I could send an email to their paypal email asking them to sign in to my website with a token link but that seems like requiring too much user interaction.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

ducduc007
New Community Member

As said I've got the same problem and also I could use a custom Application ID passed through IPN custom parameters as an hidden input html field, but what if the html code is manually altered by the customer with a different Application ID!
How can we pass a custom App ID to IPN preventing the customer to alter this ID?

Thank you for your help.

JM

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.