How to Know To Call And Verify

sadieb811
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I had waited over a month to be able to finally use the PayPal Credit line that was offered to me.

Since it first begn working a few days ago, I've used about $60 out of my $3,500 credit line and now it is no longer an option when I checkout or send money.

I am aware they can pick and choose when you can access your credit line, but how do I know if I just need to let it cool down and just try tomorrow or that I need to call them?

I have read in several instances that people had to call and answer some very specific questions that confirms your identity (even after verifying your account). I've read some people knew they had to call because their account was limited, and others who have called just by chance just to have to answer the questions to confirm thei identity.

I generally don't have the ability to sit on a phone for very long, especially after my previous experiences with their phone support team.

As of right now I am just going to try again tomorrow, and if it still doesnt work I will try calling them the following day.  But in the mean time, if any one can save an old lady some grief and has any insight, I hope you take a moment to share.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You will know when it is available when it is offered as a payment option.  You will not know in advance and PayPal will not disclose the security and risk models used to determine avaiability.

Actually, there was no need to apply as it would have been offered when you qualified.

For not just maintain a credit score over 800, an large available credit on your credit cards, a solid financial statement, and a steady income stream.  When it all comes together your will have your chance to use PayPal Credit.

Login to Me Too

sadieb811
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE

I have some updated, additional information that may make it easier for other users to be able to identify whether they were previously in a similar scenario that they can generously share.

I have also posted some pertinent, must-read information for PPC users who are also frustrated in the unpredictable nature of PPC when you are trying to attempt a transaction you know is within the terms of agreement.

So today I was able to send only $20 via PayPal Credit, better than nothing, as was the case earlier in the day and for the entire month of January.

As previously mentioned, I'm aware Paypal will only allow you to utilize the credit line offered you, at their discretion, which will basically seem arbitrary if you are within the terms of the agreement.

HOWEVER, I ALSO HAVE TWO (CONFIRMED) BANK ACCOUNTS THAT I AM RARELY ABLE TO USE. IF I WANT TO PAY MY PPC BILL THEY APPEAR WITHOUT INCIDENT, BUT IF I WANT TO SEND MONEY FROM MY OWN CONFIRMED BANK ACCOUNT, IT WILL NOT APPER AS A FUNDING SOURCE.

So unlike PPC, this confirmed funding source should be accessible.

So basically, if anyone has called into Paypal because of any issue, and then had to do an additional security verification for whatever reason, I would love to hear about your experience.

For instance, I know TWO people that opened PP and  PPC accounts and were very limited in utilizing their PPC the fist 6-8 weeks, however BOTH of them have been utilinzg their PPC WITHOUT INCIDENT since the moment they called in for an explanation and in turn were required to successfully pass an additional security check. So:

- Has anyone ever called PP for any reason and completed the security check?

- If so, did you...

1) ...know to call in for this (received notification of some sort - email, etc.) or did you call in for a different or general purpose and the PP rep presented this as an option?

2) ...now have access to all fund sources, or at least the one you inquired about (after doing the offline/over-the-phone additional security check)?

The reason I am curious is because I have read several posts by people that had similar outcomes, in addition to the two people I know, as well as the individual that provided amazing background info regarding PPC that you can find below.

However, when I called to get an educated answer as to why my banking and PPC funding sources seem to appear arbitrarily, and mentioned if there was an additional security check I needed to take part in, they said No.

So I don't know if people are made aware of this and call in, or if they happened to get a rep that knows what theyre doing and is actually able to help, as you would naturally expect customer service reps being able to do...

ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND INFO FOR PAYPAL CREDIT USERS

If you are within the terms of agreement, and paypal credit won't work, or if paypal credit will not appear as an option, then you may want to read this:

When you make a paypal payment to a seller (ebay) or a vendor (via "send money") and choose to use PayPal Credit to fund the transaction here's what actually happens:

1.) The transaction is handled by "PayPal Wallet", the core feature/function/division of PayPal that processes all types of PayPal transactions, e.g. payments funded from your PayPal balance, your bank account, your bank credit/debit cards... AND PayPal credit.

2.) If you choose to use your PayPal credit account to fund the payment the "PayPal Wallet" function passes a request for authorisation over to "PayPal Credit" (which appears to be a different "division" of PayPal). When "PayPal Credit" receives the authorisation request they check your avaialbe credit and perhaps also run a fraud check. If you have available credit and there are no fraud alerts they approve the transaction, typically automatically and within a couple seconds.

3.) It sounds like transactions authorised by PayPal Credit are then passed back to the PayPal Wallet system which completes the transaction.

Sometimes PayPal Credit might flag or disapprove a transaction even when you have sufficient available credit. We've had instances where this happened but was quickly resolved: an agent at PayPal Credit verifies your identity, then verifies that "yes, you really DO want to make the purchase or payment". They remove the "possible fraud" alert and the charge is then quickly authorised by PayPal credit and payment goes through the PayPal system to the seller or vendor.

My favorite excerpt?  This:

"...We asked "Is it accurate to say that PayPal may unpredictably block our legitimate transactions at any time with no explanation or remedy?" The answer was "Yes, we block a huge number of transactions every day and it is our policy not to explain why."..."

The entire post can be found at:

/t5/About-Payments/PayPal-Credit-option-not-working-on-ebay/td-p/888319/page/8

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

My account doesn't even have a PayPal Wallet option.  I just my bank and credit cards linked and PayPal Credit.  When I pay my PayPal Credit bill it offers me to pay from checking account; it passes from checking to PayPal and then to PayPal Credit--NO Wallet.

Where do you even find the PayPal Wallet function?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.