How do I report a website?

td512
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've found a few websites that are charging fees for using PayPal. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that against the PP ToS?

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

Judith123
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.  🙂

I am going to stick my neck out here and say, Yes, the merchant can charge you a fee for using PayPal.  It is my understanding that if a merchant agrees to allow customers to use PayPal, the merchant also agrees to pay PayPal for the service.  PayPal takes a percentage of the sale.  If the merchant is going to lose money by allowing you (or any customer) to use PayPal, it seems to me, the merchant has the right to recoup its cost(s)... in the way of a fee charged directly to the customer.

It is, in a sense, like a gas station reducing its price per gallon by three cents if the customer pays cash.  The station can do this because it saves the station bank and credit card fees.  It could have, instead, charged three cents MORE per gallon to customers using credit cards.  But, of course, there is less controversy/argument by charging less for cash.  

I looked over PayPal's "Important Discloses" (found here:  https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/bmlterms) and found these statements that may apply to your question.  However, I read nothing that stated merchants could not charge customers to use PayPal.

In the Terms section, "Cost" is defined as :

The amount of any Cash Advances you obtain using PayPal Credit or the total price of any item(s) you purchase from a Merchant using PayPal Credit, plus any fee or charge you agree to pay the Merchant or PayPal, Inc., the cost of shipping and taxes, less any applicable discount or credit offered by the Merchant.

Note -- You don't have to agree to pay the merchant the fee its charging for allowing you to pay with PayPal.  However, of course, you won't get the goods without paying for it with another method.

In the Credit Line & Other Agreements section, it says

We May Charge your Account for Purchases and Cash Advances:  You understand that the amount that we actually pay to the Merchant for any Purchase or that PayPal, Inc. pays to any recipient of a Cash Advance may be less than the Cost of the Purchase or Cash Advance, because: (i) the Merchant may agree that we or a third party may retain a portion of the Cost in order to participate in PayPal Credit...". 

Note -- That does not prohibit the merchant from passing the cost of using PayPal on to the customer. 

So, the bottom line, in my opinion -- which does not make it right (the correct answer) -- is that the merchant can pass the cost of using PayPal on to customers by charging a fee for doing so. 

If you want the merchadise bad enough, you pay for it.  😉

P.S. I should add that if a merchant agrees to use "Classic PayPal" (not "PayPal Credit"), it has (in my opinion) the right to recoup any fees that Classic PP might charge it.  So, whether "Classic" or "Credit" PP, the rules above apply -- in my opinion.  🙂  

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

They can't levy a surcharge for the use of PayPal:

From User Agreement in 4. Receiving Money section:

4.5 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Judith123
Contributor
Contributor

OK.  This is the first I've looked at business User Agreements.  But there are also many other PayPal Agreements to look through -- and I am not going to do it.  There may be a legal and contractual acceptance for the "fee", I don't know.

td512 does not say whether the fees are "handling" charges.  If the reason for the fee is not posted on the merchants' websites, he should inquire to the merchant about it.  If it appears illegal, td512 should report the merchants to PayPal.

I would like knowing the outcome (on this thread).

I was concerned (actually, upset) about a charge I had to pay for goods, long ago, and truly believed it was illegal (or just wrong), so I called the merchant -- and learned it was acceptable.  I didn't buy the goods -- I was too ticked off, then -- but the "fee" was legal.  

My original reply is based on the info I had at the time.  You, sharpiemarker, through a kink in to the works.  (Thanks for the info.)  I still hold there may be a legitimate reason for the "fees".  

td512, what are the websites?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I guess a merchant could charge a fee but they just can't specifically say it's a surcharge or fee to pay with PayPal when PayPal says it's free to pay with PayPal.  They can call it a handling fee but they would have to charge it for all their sales transactions.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Judith123
Contributor
Contributor

I agree!!  (except that they don't have to charge "all" sales transactions, but they can't charge "more" if it's a "thru PP" transaction.

While I'm here, I should correct something I said in my original reply... which kinda relates to what I just said:  The gas station scenario.  Because of Bank Card Agreements. the station may not be able to charge "more" for using a Card, but there may not be anything in those agreements about charging less for cash, or not using a card.  😉

~~sigh~~  Life should be simple, don't you think?  lol.

:

Login to Me Too

Judith123
Contributor
Contributor

td512,

Do the websites say, specifically, the fees are for using PayPal?

Login to Me Too

td512
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Judith,

Sorry for the long wait -- work got quite busy.

It doesn't have any mention of the fees on the site, and then as it passes you off to PayPal, it adds a $2 PayPal surcharge on quite literally in the description, stating "paypal surcharge"

Login to Me Too

Judith123
Contributor
Contributor

Hm! I've never heard of that (or seen it happen).  If you ever find out what it's for, please let me know.  I'm interested.

Thanks for responding.  Even late ~~ greatly appreciated. 

(P.S.) 

It seems, by what you said (in your most-recent post), that PayPal is adding the surcharge, not the websites.  Could that be?  I still can't imagine what it's for...  Are you in the USA?  Are those websites in the USA (where there is no currency exchanges)?  Puzzling.  😕  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.