How do I reallocate payments towards my promotional balance?

LLCoolKris
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys, the email support system seems pretty weak for paypal, every time I get a response they say that I have to send another separate email from the site again and cannot reply to them, which is tedious and frustrating, and after running through hoops to talk to an actual person over the phone, I got disconnected on.

Does anyone know how to reallocate payments towards my promotional balance? I have the no interest/nopayments if paid within 6 months promotion. Currently if I pay the minimum not a single dime goes towards the promotional balance. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this or knew what direction to guide me in. Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

Scotty66
New Community Member

You have to call the customer service number and specifically request that your payment (I THINK) above the minimum be allocated to the promotional balance.  I couldn't find the number on the site, but it is on the full version of your statement.  It's a ridiculous process, but that is what you have to do if you want to avoid paying the accrued interest.

Login to Me Too

awpjllo
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the info!

Below is the auto reply I received from paypal.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your email. We've created this immediate automated response to help you manage payments on your account.

If the information below doesn't answer your question, please reply to this email.

A. Did you receive my payment?

If you mailed a payment, please keep in mind that it can take 7-10 business days to arrive and apply to your account. Mailed payments won't show on your PayPal Credit activity online; however, you can see mailed payments on your billing statement. Online payments will not apply towards your balance for 24 hours; however, credit for the payment will be applied as of the day it was received.

If you don't see it after this timeframe and you want us to research it, reply to this email or call us. We'll need the following information:

• Type of payment
  • Check number or money order number
  • Date of payment
  • Amount of payment

Here's how to verify the receipt of your online payments.

1. Log into your PayPal account.
  2. Click on PayPal Credit on the left hand side below your PayPal balance.
  3. Select Manage payments.

B. How do you apply my payments to my account balances?

Your minimum monthly payments are generally applied in the order below, depending on the financing options you selected for your online purchases, as applicable.

1. Monthly plan payments on Easy Payment purchases
  2. Deferred Interest Purchases where the promotional period will end in the next two billing cycles. Deferred Interest Purchases include balances for purchases made using our "No Payments + No Interest if Paid in Full" or "No Interest if Paid in Full" options. If you have multiple promotions expiring in the same billing cycle we'll apply your payment to the oldest promotion first, based on the purchase date
  3. Interest, then fees, then existing standard purchases and cash advance balances in order from lowest to highest Annual Percentage Rate (APR)
  4. Deferred Interest Purchases expiring more than two billing cycles from the date we receive your payment, in order of their expiration date

If you pay more than your minimum monthly payment, the excess amount beyond your minimum monthly payment (also known as "prepayment") will be generally applied in the following manner, as applicable:

1. Deferred Interest Purchases where the promotional period will end in the next two billing cycles
  2. Interest, then fees, then existing standard purchases and cash advance balances in order from highest to lowest APR
  3. Deferred Interest Purchases expiring more than two billing cycles from the date we receive your payment, in order of their expiration date
  4. Monthly plan payments on Easy Payment purchases
  5. Activity that has occurred on your account since your last statement date

The order in which we apply your payments was determined according to the Terms and Conditions of your account. The application of excess payment amounts beyond your minimum monthly payment was determined in part according to the Credit Card Accountability, Responsibility, and Disclosure (Credit CARD) Act of 2009.

Please note that we're only able to make adjustments to the part of your payment that's in excess of your minimum payment due. Any payment must first satisfy your minimum payment due in order to keep your account up to date and avoid late fees.

Thanks,

PayPal Credit Customer Care

PayPal Credit is located at <removed>. Copyright 2017 Bill Me Later, Inc. The lender for PayPal Credit accounts is Comenity Capital Bank.

Copyright © 1999-2017 PayPal. All rights reserved.

Login to Me Too

anothernamed
New Community Member

I'm pretty disappointed in this answer. It seems like this whole paypal credit thing was sold as a way to make things easier and the promotional offers were part of the deal.

Yet on the back end, we have to CALL or EMAIL someone who will hopefully help us allocate above-minimum-payment funds to the promo balance upon request.

Why do I have to request this at all? Seems to me that PayPal has added this flaming hoola hoop for us to jump through to make it easier for PayPal to collect interest on these promotional balances.

What should happen is that anything I pay on my account over my minimum due is automatically reallocated evenly across any current promotional balances. I shouldn't have to call for that. I should only need to call if I want to set the amount that is applied to each because that is more complicated, but even in that scenario, your developers are plenty intelligent enough to offer an screens in the online app that would eliminate a call.

PayPal is supposed to be about 'easy' payment and collection. This inconvience is intentional and it is used to collect interest for PayPal. Very sad indeed. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Page 2 of your full PayPal Credit Statement will explain how PayPal Credit applies payments.  This is all part of the term of use for Paypal Credit.  You need to phone PPC for special arrangements.

If PayPal Credit doesn't fit your needs they you pay it off and use a different credit source.

Login to Me Too

olschumwin
Contributor
Contributor

Thank Elon Musk. Tesla needs your interest payments

@anothernamedwrote:

I'm pretty disappointed in this answer. It seems like this whole paypal credit thing was sold as a way to make things easier and the promotional offers were part of the deal.

Yet on the back end, we have to CALL or EMAIL someone who will hopefully help us allocate above-minimum-payment funds to the promo balance upon request.

Why do I have to request this at all? Seems to me that PayPal has added this flaming hoola hoop for us to jump through to make it easier for PayPal to collect interest on these promotional balances.

What should happen is that anything I pay on my account over my minimum due is automatically reallocated evenly across any current promotional balances. I shouldn't have to call for that. I should only need to call if I want to set the amount that is applied to each because that is more complicated, but even in that scenario, your developers are plenty intelligent enough to offer an screens in the online app that would eliminate a call.

PayPal is supposed to be about 'easy' payment and collection. This inconvience is intentional and it is used to collect interest for PayPal. Very sad indeed. 

Login to Me Too

Overcon
New Community Member

That's incredibly lame. When I got the PP Credit I assumed I could pay off whichever purchases I wanted to in what ever order. Apparently not only can I not do it, I have to send an email asking to have the funds applied to a specific credit line?

LAME fits this just perfect. Why not have those fancy listtle drop downs have a 'pay extra' or 'pa off' button so I can kill the little ones and then focus on the larger ones?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Overcon

Perhaps best you phone PayPal and ask. 

Users here can only explain how it works, not why.

If it doesn't suit your purposes, then don't use it.

Login to Me Too

username0
Contributor
Contributor

Very dissappointing, Paypal. Some of us are getting it now. You want to make it difficult for us to pay off our "promotional purchases" and avoid the promised interest free benefit. The best advice is to call customer service and ask them how to pay off these amounts???? You make money off people by not identifying how to do this. I am dissappointed with this service.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.