Funds withdrawn to old card and can't view dispute.

MicaelaD
Contributor
Contributor

*originally posted in business by accident. Moved here so please answer this post and do not close this*

Okay so, I provide art pieces for users through fiverr and any money I earn there I can either transfer to paypal or directly into my bank account. I chose to transfer through paypal instead because the direct method would have costed me $3, aha. So, after my transfer is completed, I decide to transfer the funds (now in paypal) to my bank account. I got a message saying I need to verify my bank. I find out later on that I only need to verify my bank when transfering money from the bank to paypal, not vice versa. So I transfer the money, everything is good and then I notice a problem. While my bank is put in correctly (Credit Union of America), the card that the money was sent to was an old/cancelled card NOT from that bank. I didn't know that paypal still had my old card number considering that I have my new card registered and I use it through paypal all the time to make payments without any problems. I would have thought that the transfer would have been cancelled because the bank and card didn't match, as well as the card being inactive, but nope. Instead, the transaction was marked as complete. 😕

So I googled some answers, checked he community forum and my next option was to open a dispute, which I did the next day after the transfer. The dispute was opened 07/22/17 and I know I should wait a bit longer, but I decided to check on the dispute to see how it was going. So on the dispute, when I click "view", the page refreshes and I get this message in a yellow alert bar on the page:

"Please provide a valid transaction ID where you were the sender of the funds and the complainant was the recipient."

I'm confused?? I have the transaction ID to prove I was the sender of the funds, yada yada yada, and I had selected that transaction when making the dispute. Just to note; my dispute is still marked as open, I just can't view it without getting that message. So my questions are:

1.) Does this mean my dispute is cancelled because I didn't provide a transaction ID when asked for info during the process of writing the dispute? How can I view this dispute?

2.) Is there anyway to get my money from this cancelled card that's not from my bank? (I'm well aware that there is a fee for failed transactions).

3.) Where can I change my card? My new card has always been registered, but when adding my bank, it gives me my old card number for some reason.

4.) Is this refund going to be impossible to get back since the card is not under my bank (it was a bought visa card from Greendot on my 17th birthday :,) ) and therefore the bank itself can't dispute back?

--------------------------------------

Other needed information: If a transaction ID is needed, let me know and I can edit it here.

Card type money was sent to: Greendot prepaid card (cancelled awhile back. How do I know for sure that it's cancelled? Accidentally made a purchase for kimichi through amazon with the card and Amazon cancelled the purchase because the card was inactive. (Done so about two months back). This is  a debit card.

Bank accidentally registered with bad card number: Credit union of America

My current card: Visa under CUOA (is active and registered under paypal). This is a debit card.

Dispute started: 07/22/17, currently still open, can not view. Sent by me as the sender.

Amount sent from paypal: $15.68 (that's gas money bro :c)

Login to Me Too
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MicaelaD

1. You can't withdraw funds to a card in the U.S, only to a linked bank account.

2. You can't open a dispute for a withdrawal, you can only open a dispute for item not received OR item received but not as described OR an unauthorised transaction.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
Solved

MicaelaD
Contributor
Contributor

*Edit because I checked my bank account and the problem is solved!*

Since verifying my bank account required my routing number and account number, funds were sent to my account (it was just delayed). So I assume that means that even if you put the wrong card on the account, the bank routes the payments to your current (active) account! Thank you for the help! ^^ I'll make sure my card is entered correctly next time.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MicaelaD

1. You can't withdraw funds to a card in the U.S, only to a linked bank account.

2. You can't open a dispute for a withdrawal, you can only open a dispute for item not received OR item received but not as described OR an unauthorised transaction.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

MicaelaD
Contributor
Contributor

*Edit because I checked my bank account and the problem is solved!*

Since verifying my bank account required my routing number and account number, funds were sent to my account (it was just delayed). So I assume that means that even if you put the wrong card on the account, the bank routes the payments to your current (active) account! Thank you for the help! ^^ I'll make sure my card is entered correctly next time.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.