Fraud and poor customer service

EmilyAmy
Contributor
Contributor

I am incredibly frustrated and disappointed with PayPal. Someone has stolen my account info, purchased a ticket on American Airlines, and it is now "pending" in my account. No one at American Airlines can help me because there's no ticket information provided on the reciept. No one at my bank can help me because the charge has not yet shown up in any way, including as a hold. And PAYPAL IS NOT OPEN UNTIL MONDAY. What horrible customer service. 

Of COURSE scammers and hackers know this, and it explains why there's a huge surge of fraud over the weekend. It makes no sense at all that PayPal doesn't have anyone to help in extreme circumstances like this...unless they really don't care about customer's experiences. I've been a PayPal user for so many years, and I think that with this level of nonsense and lack of help, I'm done. 

Does anyone know of any solutions to this? There's no way to cancel the pending transaction that I can see. 

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EmilyAmy

When you pay a company (rather than an ebay seller or individual), then it is often pending until that company processes your order and captures the pending payment.
If they don't process that order and capture the pending payment then the pending status times out at 30 days post-payment.
The funds don't leave your bank until the company processes your order.

But you can open a dispute for an unauthorised purchase via the resolve a problem link lower left of your paypal summary page but make sure you select the correct option.

Also I would do a computer anti-virus scan AND change your password and security questions on your paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

EmilyAmy
Contributor
Contributor

So here's the issue, I didn't pay a company. Someone stole my account info and purchased a ticket with it - it's a fraudulent charge. And because it's pending, there is no way to cancel the payment or open a dispute! I appreciate your information, which is what I keep getting, but PayPal apparently has no solution to my problem. 

This is ABSURD. There should be a way to cancel a pending payment! 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EmilyAmy

Yes i am aware of that, i explained about the 'buying from a company' info to show you why it was still pending.

Did you not read the rest of the info that i gave you on filing a dispute for an unauthorised transaction???

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

EmilyAmy
Contributor
Contributor

Your link does not work for me. But when I follow instructions elsewhere to dispute, I get this:

capture 1.PNG

If I select the transaction, I get this error message:

capture 2.PNG

So it appears there is no way to dispute this pending charge. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EmilyAmy

Firstly I did not post a link so not sure how you can say its not working.

Secondly you are not disputing non receipt or not as described, you are filing an unauthorised transaction and so should be able to dispute that transaction

But if not then give c.s. a phone call on Monday, if it completes before that then go back and file the dispute asap.

Have you done that virus scan and changed your passwords etc?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

EmilyAmy
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I've done everything including changing passwords, using two-factor authentication, etc. It appeared that your underlined information was supposed to be a link, which is what I was referring to. What other instructions are you referring to?

You don't have to be snippy, I'm incredibly frustrated, and this is a huge amount of money for me (it would essentially empty my bank account if it processes). When I attempt to do literally anything - dispute the transaction, file an anauthorized transaction, etc I get that same error message. I can't select it to do anything at all with it. 

It appears that the "just wait to see if it authorizes and call customer service on Monday" is my only option. Which would leave me entirely without any money for the weekend, and however long it takes them to return my funds). THAT is why I'm frustrated. I can't believe there is no other way to stop or dispute a pending transaction, and NO ONE at PayPal that can help me for THREE DAYS (it happened on Friday night). 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EmilyAmy

My underlined instruction was just emphasis on what you should do.

But sorry if you did not appreciate my help, I will go and do some shopping instead of respond to your post to try and help you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

EmilyAmy
Contributor
Contributor

I did appreciate your help, but unfortunately, it is not relevant in this circumstance. Good luck with your shopping.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.