For Real or Fraud

PPRFL
Contributor
Contributor

I had someone contact my organization about making a donation. They wanted to make a donation to mine and another's who is just starting up and didn't have a way to process the transaction (I guess manaually) so he wanted me to forward some to them. He said he was currently in the UK. He wanted to use POS transaction so it can be entered manually because he didn't trust using an online route like Paypal...which I didn't understand. I have PayPal Here so it still went PayPal but I entered it manually (obviously...because he was not physically present). He has been in constant contact (mostly through email), called me by my name (which scammers usually don't do), and has even called me on the phone a few times. So, that's what make me less suspicious. But I'm suspicious because I have to transfer money to the other organization (which he now calls "beneficiary") and because I haven't been told the name of the organization. He said he would provide the info when I receive and confirm the money came through. I I have not asked too many questions because if this is for real, I don't want to get in his business. I did ask and confirm that I will be transferring to a local bank for the other receiver. I informed him that I wouldn't be able to do anything other than local. Also, he asked that I process in 2 separate transactions. All this could not mean anything but I just don't know...which is why I'm writing here. Anyway, I processed the amounts so I received the donations but PayPal holds after a certain amount so some is still pending. I've already transferred my donation portion amount to my bank. My question is...can this be a fraud to someone else if I do transfer the funds (when they become available)? I mean... this can very well be a rich guy making donations, afterall, this is the end of the year and tax time is coming up. He did want me to send receipts of the transactions. The way it's being done is unfamiliar so I just want to get some answers. The name on the PayPal account when processed is different than the guy I've been speaking with.  I've spoken to PayPal regarding my concern and feel confident that I'm ok on my end. Also, I'd like to note that he has never asked me for my personal information. He has sent me his CC# info, address (which is local), and I have his name (and name on transaction) and email address...and phone number (the phone number is also diff than the one linked on the transaction). So that seems legit (although I

am surprised he emailed that seeing how he didn't just want to donate through PayPal on our website to begin with!). I feel like it wouldn't provide so much info if he was a scammer...unless he is giving someone else's info...Who knows...He does end his letters with "Regards" which is a common scam term, usually. So...if anyone has any thoughts on this, please let me know!!! Thanks!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_AshleyM

Hi PPRFL,

I would definitely be skeptical of this. It's possible that this person is legitimate, but why would they ask you to send a donation for them? That doesn't make much sense. In my professional opinion, this sounds like someone who paid you using a stolen credit card. It's possible that once you transfer the funds to the other account, you could receive a chargeback against the two payments you received, and you would not only be out the money that you withdrew to your bank, but also the money you transferred on. Because you would have initiated the transfer, and there's no Buyer Protection for donations, you would have no way to dispute the payment that was forwarded on, and you would be responsible for any negative balance you incurred. I would strongly advise trusting your instincts, and to err on the side of caution, even if that means refunding the payments. I hope this helps!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

PPRFL
Contributor
Contributor
It erased all I said so I won't rewrite..but thanks for that. Something to think about!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.