Finding a friend's correct account

BurgGurl
Contributor
Contributor
I've got a friend who can't remember which email is associated with their PayPal account. Is there a way for me to confirm this before sending $$ first?
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

it is up to the person who owns the account to find out,no need for you to keep guessing.

Login to Me Too

BurgGurl
Contributor
Contributor
I agree, and we were able to work it out. I was hesitant to send money after I accidentally incorrectly spelled Yahoo.com. If PayPal doesn't recognize that kind of a mistake, then I didn't feel good about potentially sending cash to a wrong acct. It would be nice if there was a way to confirm accts before sending funds. Thanks for the response.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal has no way of figuring out spelling mistakes; that's your responsibility to verify correct email addresses.

Login to Me Too

BurgGurl
Contributor
Contributor
Naturally, however I was referring to "Yahoo.com" itself being misspelled. I touched a wrong key and changed it somehow and it became something other than the correct domain. I caught my own mistake but thought if PP can't detect something like that, there's no way it will know if I've sent it to a wrong acct. My original comment stands though, it would be good to be able to verify the existence of an account before sending money to it and have it just sit in the ether. For instance: Jane has a PayPal account and Jane has two email addresses but only one of them is associated with said account. I could have sent $5.00 to one but not knowing which acct is used I might take the extra step of sending it to both. Only after she claims the money from one notification, will I know to cancel/rescind the other. It seems unlikely anyone would take these steps, especially if larger sums are being moved. This person doesn't use PP routinely, so she was unsure which was correct and in that moment was unable to login to check. So I consulted the forums to see if this had ever been addressed... the closest thing I could find was an instance where someone gifted money to a friend's acct only to find out after it was too late that another person with a similar email addy rec'd the funds and accepted the transfer. Sender was told unless incorrect recipient returned the money of their own volition, the sender was basically SOL. My sending money wasn't an emergency, so I was able to wait but I did think it was a worthy question. Thanks anyway for your feedback. Maybe file this in a suggestion box for future service improvements. Have a super day.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

How could PayPal detect that what you typed as an email address was not what you wanted to type?  Is PayPal supposed to have some sort of artificial intelligence algorithm to change why you type into something PayPal thought you wanted to type?

PayPal doesn't provide proofreading service for users.

PayPal does not have policies in place to protect users against there own mistakes.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.