Fee for sending money to Canada

Ted9
Contributor
Contributor
I have not been charged any fees for sending money to a family member in Canada (I’m in the US). Now I want to send money to someone in Canada who’s not “family or friends” and I would like to know if there are fees. The agreement with PayPal seems to imply that there will be a 2.9% fee – is that the case?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If you are funding from a credit card as a cash advance you would have a fee for family friends.

You select the type of payment when you initiate the payment process from your PayPal account.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

Yes, any payment you send that is not family/friends will be subject to fees. The receiver pays the fee, though, not you.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Ted9
Contributor
Contributor
So what’s to prevent me from using friends/family for a goods/services? There’s no shipping involved.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

if yiu send via goods and services,the recipient not only will pay fees,it couldbe 30 cents plus 4.4% ,not 2.9% as it could be cross border transaction ,if you are using a US bank issued credit card,also Paypal expects him t o ship the goods,upload tracking,also it could also be under review.

Login to Me Too

Ted9
Contributor
Contributor
Why then does Paypal’s Agreement say 2.9%? And how does PayPal know if the recipient is a “friend or family” or a “goods and service” person?
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

review Papal fee schedule,you should have known when you signed up for its service

Login to Me Too

Ted9
Contributor
Contributor
???? I didn’t sign up for anything, I am purchasing something from a person in Canada. The agreement told me there’s a 2.9% fee for cross-border remittances but nothing for family/friends instances, so that’s what I want to use. Again, how does PayPal know if it’s friend/family or not?
Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If you are funding from a credit card as a cash advance you would have a fee for family friends.

You select the type of payment when you initiate the payment process from your PayPal account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.