Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

mbourgsr
Contributor
Contributor
Wow I answer this E -mail and I cancel my debit card
Login to Me Too

Bp3
Contributor
Contributor

Should I cancel my credit cards??

Login to Me Too

K1n2s3p4
Contributor
Contributor
I have had the amount usd 1098.
Raien from my bank account for a Acer gaming
i have never heard or bought anything from these people
Login to Me Too

BudPlaysGames
Contributor
Contributor

Just got an email from <removed>. 
beware of these emails, and check your PayPal activity before clicking ANYTHING from these emails. 
It was from "Garena LTD". A "company" I have never heard of, if anyone can forward this to raise awareness, I thank you!

Login to Me Too

TheJayJayStore
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hello @BudPlaysGames! Now, I can't guarantee that people will forward that information. However, if you haven't done so already, you can forward it, do not copy and paste, to spoof@paypal.com and PayPal will investigate it for you. After you send them the email, delete it from your inbox. If you clicked on any links or downloaded any attachments within the suspicious email or website, log in to your account at PayPal and look for any unwanted transactions or other unwanted information - I see that you already did that. It’s also a good idea to change your password.

Your other options, for US and Non-US accounts, are:

1. Go to PayPal and login.
  2. At the bottom of the page, click on a link that says "SECURITY."
  3. On the next page, go towards the bottom and click on "Report a suspicious email or website."
  4. Follow the steps located on the next page.

Let me know it goes. I would love to hear your story.

Did this help? Let me know by giving me some kudos and selecting this as the solution. Otherwise, go ahead and reply to this forum with the correct solution. Also, help other's in this community! Enjoy!

Login to Me Too

MASO
New Community Member

I think I've the same problem... a mail from paypal@... to advise me of "my" donation of 99 Euro to GARENA LTD, but i see in my account, until now, there aren't unknowed transaction and no one with the same import... I follow steps suggested but at last (4th step) the next page is the search for help page.. Wat would I do??

Login to Me Too

TheJayJayStore
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

In your case @MASO, I would contact PayPal's customer support at https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/contact. The link for phone support is on the bottom left while the link for email support is on the bottom right. Queries are typically answered in the order received.

Only for those who live in the USA: You can also contact PayPal by going to their Twitter, at https://twitter.com/askpaypal, or Facebook, at https://www.facebook.com/PayPal/?brand_redir=589464587749730, if you would like to. Keep in mind, if you don't message them on Facebook, that your post or tweet will or could be publicly visible.

Did this help? Let me know by giving me some kudos. If you know the answer, go ahead and reply with the correct solution. Also, help other's in this community! Enjoy!

Login to Me Too

BudPlaysGames
Contributor
Contributor

yeah I have 2 factor authentication set up. So unless someone gets my phone, they're not gonna get far 😉 thanks for the reply though, very informative! 

Login to Me Too

TheJayJayStore
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You're welcome and thank you! I hope everything goes well! Good luck @BudPlaysGames!

Login to Me Too

Jordan737
Contributor
Contributor

I got an email from <removed> Is that a legit paypal email?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.