Does PayPal still require me to use my paypal balance first when paying for an ebay purchase?

KJ7
Contributor
Contributor

Does PayPal still require me to use my paypal balance first, before selecting which credit card I want to use, when paying for an ebay purchase?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Quandary
Advisor
Advisor

You can select your payment preference during the checkout process or ahead of time in your Account.

* Login to your account.

* Click on the "Gear" icon.

* In your Profile settings - click on "Payments".

* You should see "Your preferred way to pay".

* There you can make your choices.

If you don't have any preferences -

PayPal will first check your PayPal balance to see if there is enough money to cover the payment.

If you have enough money in your balance, PayPal will use it to make the payment.

If you have some money in your PayPal balance but not enough, PayPal will use that balance plus another payment method linked to your account.

If you don’t have any money in your PayPal balance, PayPal use another payment method linked to your account.

When you don’t have a PayPal balance or don’t have enough in your PayPal balance, PayPal will use your bank account as the default payment method unless you select a different way to pay.

To make sure you’re using the payment method you want, check the Review Your Payment page.

Additional Notes:

You will be able to select a preferred funding method for payments made through the regular checkout process as well as Goods and Services via Send Money.  You will also have the option to select a different preferred method for online purchases vs. in-store purchases.

If you have PayPal Smart Connect, PayPal Plus MasterCard, PayPal Extras MasterCard, PayPal Debit MasterCard, or eBay MasterCard, you can make that your default payment method.   Once a payment has been sent to another PayPal account, the funding source cannot be changed.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

Quandary
Advisor
Advisor

You can select your payment preference during the checkout process or ahead of time in your Account.

* Login to your account.

* Click on the "Gear" icon.

* In your Profile settings - click on "Payments".

* You should see "Your preferred way to pay".

* There you can make your choices.

If you don't have any preferences -

PayPal will first check your PayPal balance to see if there is enough money to cover the payment.

If you have enough money in your balance, PayPal will use it to make the payment.

If you have some money in your PayPal balance but not enough, PayPal will use that balance plus another payment method linked to your account.

If you don’t have any money in your PayPal balance, PayPal use another payment method linked to your account.

When you don’t have a PayPal balance or don’t have enough in your PayPal balance, PayPal will use your bank account as the default payment method unless you select a different way to pay.

To make sure you’re using the payment method you want, check the Review Your Payment page.

Additional Notes:

You will be able to select a preferred funding method for payments made through the regular checkout process as well as Goods and Services via Send Money.  You will also have the option to select a different preferred method for online purchases vs. in-store purchases.

If you have PayPal Smart Connect, PayPal Plus MasterCard, PayPal Extras MasterCard, PayPal Debit MasterCard, or eBay MasterCard, you can make that your default payment method.   Once a payment has been sent to another PayPal account, the funding source cannot be changed.

Login to Me Too

KJ7
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your assistance.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.