Do I have to refund Shipping?

Billy_Bob
Contributor
Contributor

I shipped an item from the U.S. to Japan, as always I printed the label, it cost about $15.  The item was returned to me as "undeliverable as addressed" and my question is, do I have to refund the shipping?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Generally not.

Just refund item cost with a note to buyer about the non-delivery and refund.

Login to Me Too

Billy_Bob
Contributor
Contributor

That is what my initial thought was too but they are demanding a full refund....... I forgot to state that their address is not verified to boot.  I'm trying to avoid them opening a case and it being desided in their favor....... if that is going to be the end result I'll just refund them in full and take it on the chin.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

As the seller, take the initiative.  As long as you shipped to the address provided by PayPal, refund just the item cost NOW.  Don't keep the buyer in limbo; that's the worst thing to do in customer service.  The longer you keep the customer in limbo the more the buyer thinks of coniving ways to get back at the seller.

You fund item cost now.  The wors that can happen later is that that the buyer will file for shipping refund and you can easily defend that with PayPal.  Refund from the transaction detail page.  You can specify the amount and add a note; make sure the note specifies product only and the incorrect address reason for no shipping refund.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.