Craigslist scam or not?

Heavymetal_chic
New Community Member
If someone emails me on my add wanting to buy my product but cannot come and look at it because of work reasons. Wants to pay with PayPal and have it shipped to them. Now I have told them that I would have to receive the PayPal and and pull the cash out before I would ship it out. They agreed and have not said anything about sending any extra money except for that they would pay for the shipping wanted to be shipped USPS. I will pull out the cash before I ship it. Is this the safest way and is it could it still be a scam basically could I still somehow get **bleep**?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

Make sure that you read the Seller Protection section of the User Agreement first.  (Very important stuff for your protection.)

Next,

As the seller, you should send the buyer an invoice for the item and include the shipping plus and any additions costs such as taxes if applicable , the buyer pays, you get the money, you then ship the item (either UPS or USPS) and make sure you enter the tracking number in you account activity.

Note:   As for pulling out the cash before you ship - it's a moot point - just because you don't have the funds in your account balance does not mean you're safe from a dispute or charge back - in fact, if you do end up in a dispute and/or claim and don't have sufficient funds in your account to cover a refund, you could possibly end up with a negative balance which is a real headache. 

Login to Me Too

Heavymetal_chic
New Community Member
So it sounds like a real headache. Because I find it funny that somebody wants to send me over $400 for an item that they haven't even seen and how am I supposed to know that they're not going to actually get the item and then still disputed anyways. I've had so many people just like messaging me from type Craigslist on scam stuff that I am scared to even try to sell it to anybody that I don't see face-to-face and just deal in cash. Plus I don't really have a couple of days for me to have to wait for this cash
Login to Me Too

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

Personally selling local for cash is always a better option.   Although Craig's List can work very well - one has to aware that scammers love to use PayPal as they understand the how the system works. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.