Conversion rate & fees for sending money (Goods & Services) from US to Mexico

DenimDan12
Contributor
Contributor

My future wife and I are planning a wedding in Mexico. We found photographer who prefers to take payments via PayPal. He stated that there is an extra 10% charge to conver the PayPal currency conversion and merchant fees associated to the transaction.

This seems rather high.

What is the actual currency conversion and merchant fees for a merchant in Mexico receiving funds from the US?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal policy is very clear.  Sellers cannot add a surcharge to cover fees.

Suggest you find a different photographer.

If the seller gives you an invice in US$ you pay that.  Surcharges and fees are not your concern.

Login to Me Too

DenimDan12
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for your response. I probably will do that. Just out of curiosity though. How much are currency conversion and merchant fees for a merchant in Mexico receiving funds from the US?
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Covnersion rates will vary and PayPal will not use a bank conversion rate so there is no way to know.  There will be a 3% cross border fee, I believe.

Using a credit card directly would likely be better.  As long as the seller accepts US$ then there would be no conversion rate to consider.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.